Live Football Blog: Richmond at James Madison

4th Quarter 0:00- JMU holds on to beat Richmond 38-31. I will post a rapid recap as soon as I can. Thank you for following along.

4th Quarter 1:31- JMU recovers the onside kick. Richmond has one timeout remaining.

4th Quarter 1:32- Jordi's kick is good. That's his 4th field goal of the game. Richmond trails 38-31. Next up, the onside kick...

4th Quarter 1:37- Richmond to attempt a field goal from 23 yards out.

4th Quarter 2:49- Strauss hits Edwards for the 1st down, but is sacked on the next play.

4th Quarter 3:57- Richmond has a 4th and 2 from JMU's 39.

4th Quarter 5:15- Strauss hits Diggs for a 17-yard reception.

4th Quarter 5:21- Great defense from the Spiders forces another JMU punt. Edwards brings the punt to Richmond's 34.

4th Quarter 7:22- Strauss' pass is broken up. JMU leads 38-28.

4th Quarter 7:22- Strauss hits Edwards for a 7-yard TD pass. Richmond to go for two, which would make it a one possession game.

4th Quarter 7:47- JMU's punt goes out at Richmond's 35, A squirrel ran on the field and Strauss pass brought the Spiders to the 7. It's been a wild couple of minutes here at JMU.

4th Quarter 8:54- Richmond forces JMU to punt.

4th Quarter 10:06- Jacobi Green runs practically untouched for a touchdown. Richmond goes for two, but the conversion fails. Richmond trails 38-22.

4th Quarter 10:11- A roughing the passer penalty moves the ball to JMU's 15.

4th Quarter 10:55- The Spiders cross midfield on a pass to Edwards.

4th Quarter 11:14- Birdsong throws a bullet over the Spiders' secondary for a 39-yard touchdown pass to Daniel Brown. JMU leads 38-16.

4th Quarter 11:22- Gulli's punt is shanked out of bounds and JMU will start from Richmond's 39.

4th Quarter 11:29- Strauss and Edwards are on different pages, and the pass falls incomplete.

4th Quarter 11:33- Richmond faces a 3rd and 10.

4th Quarter 11:37- Richmond starts on its own 25. Strauss 1st-down pass is incomplete.

4th Quarter 11:42- Richmond holds JMU, and the Dukes hit the 46-yard field goal. JMU leads 31-16, keeping it a two-possession game.

4th Quarter 13:17- Once again, JMU moves the ball quickly on this Spider defense. The Dukes have the ball at Richmond's 37.

4th Quarter 14:13- Richmond scores on a 5-yard pass to Seth Fisher. Richmond trails 28-16.

4th Quarter 14:18- Richmond uses its first timeout just before the play clock ran out.

4th Quarter 14:51- Strauss hits Ponder, who then breaks a tackle and brings the ball to the 5.

3rd Quarter 0:00- Richmond will have a 2nd 7 to start the 4th quarter. Any points on this possession will make it a two-posession game.

3rd Quarter 0:09- Savage drops the pass, which would have been good for a 1st down. JMU is called for a personal after the play and Richmond has a 1st down on the 39.

3rd Quarter 0:13- Richmond faces a 3rd and 6 after Strauss' pass to Rashad Ponder falls incomplete.

3rd Quarter 0:53- Green picks up a 1st down on a carry that brings the ball to UR's 47.

3rd Quarter 1:04- Strauss finds Savage, who steps out at the 30. Strauss finds Savage for a gain of 9 on the next play.

3rd Quarter 1:42- Richmond has a 3rd and 3 from the 23.

3rd Quarter 2:34- A play-action pass fools the Spiders D and JMU scores. JMU increases its lead to 28-9. Richmond has been outscored 21-3 so far this half.

3rd Quarter 3:25- Birdsong runs for a TD, but a holding penalty brings it back. JMU has a 1st and goal from the 16.

3rd Quarter 3:25- JMU has a 1st and goal from the 6 after a nice pass from Birdsong.

3rd Quarter 3:45- Birdsong's pass is good for 21 yards.

3rd Quarter 3:54- Strauss' pass is wildly overthrown and JMU picks it off. Following a good returner, the DUkes take over at Richmond's 40.

3rd Quarter 4:18- Strauss has the ball stripped but Green picks up the fumble and runs for a 1st down.

3rd Quarter 4:55- Green takes the inside handoff to the 32.

3rd Quarter 5:30- Strauss finds Diggs who makes the completion and carries the ball to the 24.

3rd Quarter 5:44- Edwards unwisely fields the ball inside his own 5 and manages to return the ball to the 9.

3rd Quarter 5:55- Good coverage from Grant forces the incompletion. JMU to punt.

3rd Quarter 6:15- JMU has a 3rd and 3 after a 7-yard run from Scott on 2nd down.

3rd Quarter 6:48- Great coverage by Wayne Pettus forces the pass to be incomplete, but he's called for pass interference. I'm not quite sure what the refs saw on that play.

3rd Quarter 7:15- JMU has a 3rd and 5 after a 5-yard run from Birdsong.

3rd Quarter 8:07- JMU will start on the 16.

3rd Quarter 8:07- Strauss misses Edwards, who looked to have been held on the play but the refs did not agree. Gulli to Punt.

3rd Quarter 8:11- The Spiders face a 3rd and 20 from the 48. A holding penalty is what pushed the Spiders back.

3rd Quarter 8:49- The Spiders return the kickoff to JMU's 38. After a slow first half, the second half has been filled with big plays.

3rd Quarter 9:00- Birdsong hits Brandon Ravenel for a 71 yard reception. WR Quintin Hunter scores on the very next play on a 9-yard run. Richmond trails 21-9.

3rd Quarter 9:30- JMU will start from the 20.

3rd Quarter 9:50- Despite completing the pass, the Spiders fail to score. Jordi kicks a 20-yard field goal. Richmond trails 14-9. I think I'm having Deja Vu...

3rd Quarter 10:30- Richmond faces a 3rd and goal from the 10 after two running plays get nothing.

3rd Quarter 11:36- Strauss hits TE Hunter Westfall for a 1st down. Richmond has 1 1st and goal from the 10.

3rd Quarter 12:05- Strauss hits Savage for a gain of 7. Richmond has a 3rd and 5.

3rd Quarter 12:19- Green loses 2 on the 1st down carry. Richmond has the ball on the 25.

3rd Quarter 12:55- Strauss barely releases the pass in time to find Shane Savage for his first catch of the day and a 1st down.

3rd Quarter 13:01- A wild throw from Strauss falls incomplete and Richmond has a 3rd and 9.

3rd Quarter 13:53- Strauss airs it out to Diggs who does his best Barnette impression and leaps over the defender to make a great catch. Spiders ball at JMU's 36. Now all Richmond needs to do is capitalize on this field position...

3rd Quarter 14:00- Richmond is called for an illegal procedure prior to the snap. 3rd and 14.

3rd Quarter 14:00- Diggs drops Strauss' pass on a slant. Richmond faces a 3rd and 9.

3rd Quarter 14:41- Justin Grant returns the kickoff to Richmond's 30.

3rd Quarter 14:47- The momentum was really up for grabs heading into the half, but the Dukes and their fans have all the momentum now. The Spiders' backs are up against the wall and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

3rd Quarter 14:47: DeAndre' Smith brings returns the kickoff over 100 yards for a touchdown. Smith just blew by Richmond defenders and went untouched the whole way. JMU leads 14-6.

Halftime: Some more news on Barnette: He is out with a lower back injury that he suffered in the first quarter on an incomplete pass intended for him.

Halftime: All things considered, I think this was an overall good first half for the Spiders. They came into a pretty hostile environment and only trail by a point at the half. The Spiders were able to move the ball deep into JMU territory on three occasions but have not been able to get into the end-zone, which is becoming a reoccurring theme. The loss of Barnette has been felt in terms of making big plays, but Ben Edwards and Reggie Diggs, who have combined for 8 receptions and 80 yards, have done their best to fill the gap. Jacobi Green has ran the ball pretty well against a strong JMU run defense, picking up 37 yards on 10 carries. Defensively, the Spiders have done well containing Dae'Quan Scott but Michael Birdsong, who played well against the Spiders last year as well, made plays scrambling in the first half. The biggest change the Spiders need is offensive execution as they approach the end-zone.

2nd Quarter 0:00- Richmond heads into the locker room trailing, 7-6. JMU will receive to start the 2nd half.

2nd Quarter 0:10- Birdsong's pooch punt goes out of bounds at the 27.

2nd Quarter 1:12- Birdsong is sacked at the 40. JMU seems content to let the clock run out.

2nd Quarter 1:34- Birdsong fired a ball off a receivers chest. The ball popped in the air, and, luckily for JMU, fell incomplete. 3rd and 4.

2nd Quarter 1:39- Birdsong scrambles for 6 setting up a 2nd and 4 from the 28. JMU has one timeout left.

2nd Quarter 2:25- A good punt return brings the ball to Richmond's 45.

2nd Quarter 2:36- The inside handoff to Green picks up 5. That was a pretty conservative play call from Rocco. My guess is he wanted to avoid a turnover on the long conversion. JMU takes a timeout to stop the clock.

2nd Quarter 3:10- The screen to Edwards is nearly picked off, but he makes the catch for no gain. 3rd and 15 for the Spiders. The Stadium is very loud.

2nd Quarter 3:45- A false start moves the Spiders back to their own 5.

2nd Quarter 4:19- Green is stopped at the line on 1st down.

2nd Quarter 4:31- Birdsong kicks a great pooch punt that is downed at the 10.

2nd Quarter 4:39- The 3rd down pass falls incomplete. JMU to go for it.

2nd Quarter 5:04- Two consecutive gives to Scott are stopped by Richmond. 3rd and 13 from the 36.

2nd Quarter 6:04- Birdsong rolled to his left and hit an open receiver for a 1st down.

2nd Quarter 6:27- Scott nearly broke a big run but was pushed out of bounds at Richmond's 43. The dukes face a 3rd and 5.

2nd Quarter 6:58- Birdsong runs for 3 yards and a first down.

2nd Quarter 7:38- Richmond stopps Scott at the line. JMU to go for the 4th and 1.

2nd Quarter 8:10- JMU comes out in a no-huddle offense. They face a 3rd and 1 from the 46.

2nd Quarter 8:44- Jordi hits from 39 yards to pull the Spiders within one point. JMU leads 7-6.

2nd Quarter 9:33- Strauss' pass is knocked down on a 3rd and 3 attempt. Jordi will attempt his 3rd field goal of the game.

2nd Quarter 10:45- Diggs picks up another 1st down on a reception that brings the ball to the 29. Diggs will need to step up to make up for the loss of Barnette.

2nd Quarter 11:00- Green picks up the first down on the inside carry. He then picks up another first down on a short screen. Green has played well so far.

2nd Quarter 11:40- Edwards picks up 4 on the reverse.

2nd Quarter 11:54- Richmond will take over at the 34.

2nd Quarter 12:11- Stephen Barnette is out for the remainder of the game. That is a huge loss for the Spiders.

2nd Quarter 12:15- Richmond holds JMU on a 3rd and 6 and the Dukes will punt.

2nd Quarter 13:30- The kick misses badly and JMU will take over on the 32.

2nd Quarter 14:00- Richmond has a 4th and 8 from the 32 and will attempt a field goal.

1st Quarter 0:00- The JMU defender drags Green down by his hair. Many people in the press box, including myself, winced at that tackle. Richmond will have a 2nd and 12 from the 36 to start the 2nd quarter.

1st Quarter 0:34- Strauss hits Diggs and he reaches the 34 before he's knocked out of bounds.

1st Quarter 1:23- On 3rd and 10, Birdsong's pass is intercepted by Justin Grant at Richmond's 46.

1st Quarter 2:50- Birdsong's pass to WR Sage Harold is good for 14 yards.

1st Quarter 2:59- The Spiders down Gulli's punt at the 23.

1st Quarter 3:09- The pass is broken up. Richmond to punt.

1st Quarter 3:30- a six-yard completion gives Richmond a 3rd and 16.

1st Quarter 4:30- Strauss drops the snap and falls on it immediately.

1st Quarter 4:51- Richmond is called for a hold. 1st and 20 for the Spiders from the 32.

1st Quarter 5:10- Green gets to the outside and picks up a first down.

1st Quarter 5:30- Strauss hits Edwards on a quick screen and he picks up 8.

1st Quarter 5:54- Richmond will start on the 20.

1st Quarter 5:54- JMU's opening drive was highlighted by Scott's big run, but Birdsong came out passing early on and he looked good. The opening drive was not encouraging for Richmond.

1st Quarter 5:54- Birdsong pushes his way into the endzone. JMU's stands emptied with purple and yellow confetti when the ref signaled touchdown. 7-3 JMU.

1st Quarter 6:20- Scott brings the ball right to the goal line, but he didn't break the plane.

1st Quarter 6:50- JMU RB Dae'Quan Scott picks bust open a big run to the 19 on his first carry. QB Michael Birdsong scrambles and hits an open receiver for a first down. A penalty on Richmond will move the ball to the 3.

1st Quarter 8:52- Another quick pass picks up 11.

1st Quarter 9:18- JMU comes out passing moving the ball to the 35 on its first two plays.

1st Quarter 9:39- Great coverage from the Spiders will give JMU the ball on the 17.

1st Quarter 9:46- Strauss missed an open Barnette by the front-right pylon. Brandon Jordi hits the 40-yard field goal. 3-0 Spiders.

1st Quarter 10:20- The short pass to Edwards gets 6. 3rd and 12 from the 23. The stadium has been loud the whole drive and is especially loud now.

1st Quarter 10:55- JMU takes a timeout. JMU has put Richmond's offense in difficult situations on this opening drive, but the Spider offense has made big plays when it has needed to. If I were Rocco, I'd look for a short pass to Edwards in hopes of him picking up enough yards to create a manageable 3rd down.

1st Quarter 10:55- Richmond is called for holding. 2nd and 18 from the 29.

1st Quarter 11:00- Strauss' pass across his body to Green is broken up. Green was hit hard on the play.

1st Quarter 11:37- Struass' pass is on the money to Barnette and Richmond picks up the 1st down.

1st Quarter 11:45- Richmond's O-line opened a huge hole for Green and he picked 7. Strauss' pass is blocked at the line and nearly intercepted on the next play. 3rd and 3 from the 34.

1st Quarter 12:30- Strauss finds Reggie Diggs across the middle and he picks up a 1st down. Ball on JMU's 40.

1st Quarter- 13:00 Strauss misses an open Edwards. Strauss has been off to start the game. Richmond has a 3rd and 14 from its 42.

1st Quarter 13:30- JMU stuffed Richmond's screen and the Spiders lose four.

1st Quarter 14:10- Strauss' pass is behind Barnette, but Barnette made a great catch to pick up the 1st down.

1st Quarter 14:20- Richmond has a 3rd and 8 after an incomplete pass.

1st Quarter 14:40- Jacobi Green picks up 2 on the opening carry.

1st Quarter 15:00- Richmond will start with the ball at the 20 after the touchback.

Pregame- Richmond won the toss and elected to receive.

Pregame- JMU just shot off several loud fireworks on the field and it was awesome. I kind of wish Richmond did that...

Pregame- JMU's marching band is putting on a show right now.

Pregame- Bridgeworth Stadium is beautiful. One side of the stadium resembles a high school stadium, but the other side is a massive college football stadium. JMU rennovated its stadium in 2009 and its very clear what parts of the stadium is new. Also, The bleachers are very close to the field, which could add to the game's atmosphere. Overall, I am very impressed with JMU's stadium. Here is my view.

Pregame- Welcome to The Collegian's coverage of Richmond Football. Today, the Spiders face in-state rival James Madison. You can get all my thoughts on this game by checking out my preview.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson