Spiders beat Albany, 27-10, in homecoming game

A strong running game and four field goals from Brandon Jordi, which tied a school record for field goals in a single game, helped University of Richmond (3-6, 1-4 CAA) end a four-game losing streak and win its first conference game Saturday against University at Albany (1-8, 0-5), 27-10.

"I said in the locker room after the game, 'Hats off to two guys: Brandon Jordi...and Seth Fisher,'" Richmond coach Danny Rocco said.

The Spiders rushed for 192 yards in the game, which is the most they have rushed for in a single game since a win over Liberty University Sep. 21. Seth Fisher ran for a career-high 89 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries. Jacobi Green added 54 yards on 10 carries.

"I think [Fisher] took control of the game a little bit," Rocco said. "Obviously that was a very significant factor in the outcome."

"When we actually have a rushing game--we've been struggling for the past few weeks with that---it really opens up our whole offense," Fisher said.

Richmond totaled 508 all-purpose yards in the game. Quarterback Michael Strauss added his 300 passing yards and a touchdown. Ben Edwards had 83 yards on nine receptions after missing the majority of the last two games because of a concussion.

Rocco said he was really impressed by the defense's performance. After allowing a 12-play 80-yard touchdown drive on Albany's opening drive, the Spiders held Albany to 238 yards and three points for the rest of the game.

Eric Wright and Walt Sparks led Richmond with 10 tackles each.

Richmond took a 17-10 lead into halftime. The Spiders scored one touchdown and attempted four field goals, making three, on its five first half possessions.

A fumble recovery caused by Sparks and recovered by Ayo Ogunniyi in Albany territory led to Richmond's sole touchdown of the half--a 3-yard run by Fisher followed by a successful two-point conversion.

"That was the one play that led to the swing of the score," Rocco said.

The game remained close after an inactive third quarter, but a 10-play 94-yard drive capped with a 30-yard touchdown reception by Rashad Ponder put the Spiders up by 14 points. An interception by Mylon Blueford on the following possession led to Jordi's fourth field goal, which sealed the Spiders' victory.

The Spiders will travel to New York Saturday to take on Stony Brook University.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson