Rapid Recap: Richmond 72 - UNC 82

Final Score: Richmond 72 - UNC 82

What Happened: Cedrick Lindsay's career-high 29 points was not enough as Richmond fell to No. 24 North Carolina, 82-72. Marcus Paige went 6-9 from three and finished with 26 points. Brice Johnson had 24 points and 11 rebounds. Kendall Anthony was the only other Spider in double figures with 13 points, but he shot 4-12 from the field. Cedrick Lindsay scored eight points in the first five minutes and Alonzo Nelson-Ododa scored on consecutive post moves as Richmond raced out to a 17-8 lead early in the half. UNC responded with a 9-0 run and tied the game at 17. UNC did not take it's first lead until Marcus Paige hit two foul shots with 37 seconds left in the half. Lindsay's 12 points led all scores at the break, and most of Richmond's offense came from his penetration. nine first half turnovers hurt the Spiders. UNC opened the second half in a 3-2 zone and switched between zone and man in the half. Mooney called a timeout four minutes into the second half as the Tar Heels extended their lead to 47-40. A 7-0 run by the Spiders tied the game at 51 midway through the half. Richmond tied the game again at 56, but - despite keeping the game close throughout - UNC took the lead for good at that point. Richmond trailed 66-62 with four minutes remaining, but six quick UNC points increased its lead to 72-62 with 1:36 remaining. Richmond had two 3-pointers rattle around the rim during UNC's small run. Poor foul shooting has plagued the Tar Heels this year, but they were able to hit them at the end of the game to secure the victory.

Spider Positives: Richmond's offense went through Lindsay and he played a great game. Most of Richmond's offense came through his penetrating, shooting and dishing. Coach Mooney said before the season Lindsay is one of the best point guards in the country and Lindsay showed he can play with the nation's best. Richmond looked phenomenal in the first five minutes. Richmond jumped out to a 16-7 lead and showed that when in's hitting on all cylinders, it can play with any team it will face this season. Richmond kept itself in the game with excellent foul shooting, going 22-29 from the line. Because of the new rules on hand checking, foul shooting will be even more crucial than it normally is for every team this season. Sound foul shooting will win the Spiders games this season. Richmond held James Michael McAdoo - one of the ACC's best players - to nine points.

Spider Negatives: Richmond could not score consistently without Lindsay being a part of the play. Nelson-Ododa and Terry Allen made great offensive moves at times and Anthony can light it up when he's hitting, but Richmond needs to find another consistent scorer. Richmond out-rebounded UNC early on, but as the game went on, the Tar Heels were able to control the glass. UNC out-rebounded Richmond 36-30, which is alright considering the Tar Heels' athleticism in the front court. What is concerning is the 14-1 differential on the offensive glass. The Spiders shot better from three-point range today, but 7-22 is not great.

Up Next: Richmond will play the loser of the No. 3 Louisville/Fairfield game tomorrow at 3:30.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @Jack_Nicholson