Richmond vs. Belmont first-half analysis

First-half score: Richmond - 34, Belmont - 31

Analysis: Coming off a a 20 point game in the opener, Cedrick Lindsay was heled scoreless in the first half. Regardless, Kendall Anthony and Wayne Sparrow's nine points a piece give the Spiders the lead at the half. Belmont looked to be the better team early on in the half, as the Bruins shot 71% from the field in the first 12 minutes with most of their shots either coming in the paint or being uncontested. The Spiders rallied and put together a 10-0 midway through the half and outscored Belmont 15-6 in the final seven minutes of the half to give the Spiders the lead at the break. Early on, Richmond looked confused by Belmont's 3-2 zone, but it was the Spiders who were able to force Belmont into 10 turnovers while only committing four. Both teams are shooting over 50% from the field, but Belmont has been getting the better looks. The Spiders held JJ Mann, Belmont's highest scoring returner, to four points of 2-6 shooting in the half.

What to look for in the second half: The Spiders need to keep on attacking Belmont's defense instead of settling for jump shots. The Spiders, who shot 2-12 from three-point range in the half, have had the most success offensively when it has been able to get into the core of Belmont's zone. When Belmont is on offense, it seems the Bruins either get an open look or turn the ball over. Richmond is forcing more of the turnovers rather than Belmont making mistakes, but it is the open looks Belmont is getting is concerning. The Spiders need to focus on forcing Belmont into more contested looks this half

Follow us on twitter or like us on facebook for updates in the second half.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu