Richmond vs. Hofstra first-half analysis

First-half score: Richmond - 24, Hofstra - 33

Analysis: Richmond is lucky to be down by nine after an ugly first half. Hofstra shot 57.1 percent from the field to Richmond's 37.5 percent, out rebounded the Spiders 19-10, and made 6-9 of its free throws while the Spiders shot an abysmal 2-7 from the line. Kendal Anthony, who has 10 points and shot 3-7 from three-point range gave the Spiders a spark midway through the half and helped cut the Pride's lead to one on two occasions. Cedrick Lindsay has 8 points on 4 of 7 shooting, but the rest of the Spiders have struggled to get anything going on the offensive end.

What to look for in the second half: Richmond's first half was its worst half of the season, but it is still very much in this game. Richmond will need to shoot much better in the second half, and that starts with an all around better shot selection. Richmond has struggled to break into the heart of Hofstra's interior defense so it has settled for three-point shots, making four of 14 attempts. Terry Allen and Alonzo Nelson-Ododa will be key in making this possible adjustment. Despite Hofstra's good shooting percentage, I think Richmond's defense played alright. What needs to change is the overall rebounding.

Follow us on twitter or like us on facebook for updates in the second half.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @Jack_Nicholson