Richmond vs. Coppin State first-half analysis

First-half score: Richmond - 37, Coppin State - 21

Analysis: Playing with out leading-scoring Cedrick Lindsay, Richmond needed its other guards to make up for Lindsay's production. So far, Kendall Anthony has been up to the challenge. Anthony led all scorers with 15 points in the first half and made four of his seven three-point shots. ShawnDre Jones gave the Spiders a boast off the bench, hitting his two 3-point shots. The Spiders went 6-12 from three against a Coppin State zone that dared Richmond to shoot threes. Coppin State hit some jump shots early, but struggled against Richmond's unique matchup zone. The Spiders held the Eagles without a field goal for 9:18 midway through the half. During this stretch, Richmond went on a 17-4 run that gave them a 28-16 lead. The Eagles struggled to get easy interior shots against shot-blocker Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, who had two points, three rebounds and two blocks.

What to look for in the second half: Richmond had one of its better shooting halves of the season, and it came at good time given it is playing without Lindsay. A lot of their shots have been clean looks, so I think they could continue to shoot well in the second half. The key to holding on to the victory well be Nelson-Ododa. His defense - whether it be blocking shots, forcing tough shots or creating turnovers - was key to Richmond's run midway through the half that gave the Spiders a comfortable lead. If the Eagles can't find a way to get through Nelson-Ododa, Richmond should win easily.

Follow us on twitter or like us on facebook for updates in the second half.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @Jack_Nicholson