Rapid Recap: Richmond 58 - Massachusetts 55

Final Score: Richmond 58 - Massachusetts 55

What Happened: Many college basketball experts would have expected Chaz Williams to be the best player on the court tonight. Instead, Kendall Anthony led Richmond to its first win over a top 15-ranked team at home since 1990 with a game-high 21 points, as the Spiders held on to beat UMass, 58-55. Richmond held Chaz Williams, one of the A-10's best players, to eight points on 2-11 shooting. Sampson Carter led UMass with 15 points, and Cady Lalanne added 10 points and 13 rebounds. Richmond did not trail in the first half, as it held Williams to four points on 1-7 shooting and two assists. Williams is averaging 16 points and seven assists on the season, and scored at least 17 points in the last two games against the Spiders. Kendall Anthony, conversely, led all scorers with 13 points on 5-7 shooting at the half. Cedrick Lindsay, Richmond's leading scorer, picked up his third foul seconds into the second half, and UMass went on an 8-2 run to take its first lead of the game. Anthony responded with a deep 3-pointer that put Richmond on top, 32-30, five minutes into the half. Richmond maintained several UMass surges in the second half, and never let UMass lead for more than short spurts. Anthony continued to be the guy who seemed to hit a shot whenever UMass looked to claim momentum. UMass cut Richmond's lead to 56-55 with 11 seconds left on a floater in the lane. Despite having an off-shooting night, Lindsay hit two foul shots to put Richmond up by three. UMass' last attempt clanged off the rim, and the Richmond students rushed the floor to celebrate this massive victory for the Spiders

Spider Positives: Well how about Richmond's defense on Chaz Williams, one of the, if not the, best players in the A-10? Williams combined to score 35 points against the Spiders in his last two games against UR, but tonight, Richmond's defense smothered him. If Richmond can play this good of defense against one of the nation's best point guards, it should be able to contain any player it still has to face. while discussing under-6-foot-guards, Kendall Anthony continued his legacy as a big-time performer for Richmond. Anthony looked as good as he has all season, as he carried Richmond's offense for 40 minutes. Richmond won this game partially because it controlled the tempo, and did not let UMass open up its deadly fast-court offense. UMass lost this game because of its inability so score in fast-break situations, said UMass coach Derk Kellogg. Richmond dictated the game against one of only a handful of teams nationally who had one loss or less prior to tonight. If the Spiders can play the game at its speed against its remaining A-10 opponents, no one will be unbeatable.

Spider Negatives: Well, it's hard to find a lot of negatives about Richmond's play tonight, but one thing really stands out; Cedrick Lindsay is struggling. Lindsay finished with 11 points on 4-11 shooting. Including tonight, Lindsay has shot 11-39 from the field in Richmond's last three games. Yes, Richmond looked great tonight, and yes, Anthony showed he is a big-time player, but can Richmond really be a factor in the A-10 with out one of the conference's best players player at an elite level? I don't think so. I think Lindsay is simply in a slump and will be fine, but if I am wrong, Richmond could be in trouble.

Up Next: Richmond finishes up its three-game home-stand Saturday against St. Joseph's.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @Jack_Nicholson