Rapid Recap: No. 21 Richmond defeats Hampton, 42-17

<p>Spider QB Michael Strauss takes the snap during Richmond's defeat of the Hampton Pirates.</p>

Spider QB Michael Strauss takes the snap during Richmond's defeat of the Hampton Pirates.

The Spiders earned the victory, 42-17, Saturday night in Robins Stadium against Hampton. While Strauss continued to display his talent, the true star of the game was Jacobi Green, who ran for 133 yards and two touchdowns on just 15 carries. The defense made a high-powered Hampton offense look mediocre. Justin Williamson and Aaron Roane each recorded a sack, and the defense made one takeaway on a fumble.

Strengths:

The running game was finally a bright spot for the Spiders. Green separated himself from the rest of the backs, as he showed both power and explosion. Green was able to break loose for a 50-yard touchdown, and dragged Hampton defenders around on many other runs Saturday night. It will be interesting to see if Green can continue his success against conference opponents, and if any other backs will step up and contribute.

The defense got consistent pressure on the quarterback for the first time, sacking Hampton quarterbacks twice and forcing many ill-advised throws. Although the secondary failed to convert the pressure into interceptions, the opportunities were there, which will give the defense confidence going into conference play.

Weaknesses:

The Spiders continued to turn the ball over tonight. They did not match their seven-turnover performance against UVA last week, but they fumbled twice. If the turnovers continue, Richmond will have trouble defeating tough conference opponents like New Hampshire and Villanova.

Penalties were another big issue for the Spiders Saturday night. The team committed seven penalties for 70 yards, many of which came at inopportune times. Richmond cannot expect to keep up with CAA opponents if they continue to hurt themselves.

What’s Next:

New Hampshire will travel to Richmond next Saturday to take on the Spiders in Robins Stadium. The game will begin 4 p.m., and Richmond will be looking to earn a victory on family weekend.