A day in the life: Taylor Deitrick

<p>Taylor Deitrick is an A-10 Champion, Richmond field hockey forward and leadership studies major. </p>

Taylor Deitrick is an A-10 Champion, Richmond field hockey forward and leadership studies major. 

Taylor Deitrick is a junior from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, with a major in leadership studies and a minor in history. She is a forward on the Richmond field hockey team, which recently won the A-10 Championship. Deitrick has been playing field hockey since sixth grade, and has similarly instilled a love of the sport in other children. For the past two years, she has coached the Richmond Panthers United Field Hockey Club team, and has coached in summer camps. Deitrick enjoys the culture of her team and having a chance to improve alongside the other players. A challenge for her this past season had been finding her flow and honing her skills. Deitrick wants Richmond students to know that student-athletes work extremely hard to balance their classes and sports. Student-athletes make the decision to do it because they love their sports; things are not handed to them. Something you don’t know about Deitrick? She sang in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome with her high school choir, and she also drives a manual car. Here’s a glimpse into a day in her life.

8:05 a.m. – Wake up. Check the weather. Complain with my roommate about how tired we are, and contemplate skipping our class. Get ready for the day.

8:40 a.m. – Order my usual small coffee and yogurt parfait at 8:15. I couldn’t survive Wednesday without caffeine.

9:00 a.m. – Justice & Civil Society class in Jepson.

10:15 a.m. – Choose between going to the library to catch up on all of the reading I am behind on or going back to my room to take a much-needed nap. Unfortunately, the nap rarely wins.

11:30 a.m. – Grab lunch at D-hall. Wait until the last possible second to leave for Ryland for history class.

12:00 p.m. – Endure a long, informative hour-and-15-minute class on the Late Middle Ages with two of my teammates.

1:15 p.m. – Make my way to Passport to grab a snack, only to realize that the line is extremely long, and I don’t have the time to wait. No snack for me today.

1:30 p.m. – Civil War Leadership class, also in Jepson.

2:48 p.m. – Quickly sprint to Lakeview to change into my practice clothes, and jump in my car to drive to Crenshaw Field for hockey practice.

3:05 p.m. – Start separate forward drills while the rest of the team warms up.

3:15 p.m. – Spider hockey practice begins.

5:30 p.m. – Head to D-hall with most of the team, covered in sweat and ice bags.

6:10 p.m. – Shower. Put on sweatpants and a T-shirt. Procrastinate starting a long night of catching up on the homework I was supposed to do earlier in the day. Probably watch an episode of American Horror Story on Netflix.

7:30 p.m. – Start doing my homework.

8:00 p.m. – My roommate and I both hit a wall, blast country songs and sing along terribly to them. Time to get back to work.

11:10 p.m. – Realize how tired I am. Brush, floss and get into bed. Suddenly I’m wide awake.

12:50 p.m. – Actually try to go to sleep after looking at Pinterest, Facebook and online window-shopping has made me tired once again.

Contact copy editor Rebecca Fradkin at rebecca.fradkin@richmond.edu