Men's and women's lacrosse teams both win weekend games

Richmond’s women’s lacrosse team won in overtime on Saturday against conference opponent Davidson to maintain its share of the lead in the Atlantic 10.

Trailing 5-3 with just under five minutes left, Emily Newman scored to close the gap to one goal and give Richmond a chance to tie. Minutes later at 1:38, the Spiders scored again, this time on an unassisted goal by Kim Egizi, her third of the game.

Richmond managed to keep the game tied for the rest of regulation, sending the game into overtime. At the 3:10 mark, Egizi found Bailey Zerr for her 20th goal of the season to give the Spiders the 6-5 win.

Egizi was the star for the Spiders, scoring three goals in addition to the game-winning assist, but the day ultimately belonged to Emily Doyle. Her assist on Egizi’s first goal put her in sole possession of the Richmond assists record, breaking Mandy Friend’s mark of 93. Doyle recorded another assist to put her season total at 23 and her career total at 95.

Richmond won the ground ball battle 17-6 and outshot Davidson 24-14. The Spiders also forced 17 Davidson turnovers compared with just 10 of their own.

Richmond moves to 6-6 overall this season and 3-0 in the A-10 to stay in a tie for first place in the conference. The Spiders face George Washington and George Mason next weekend in a pair of conference matchups.

Richmond’s men’s lacrosse team remained undefeated in the Southern Conference following Saturday’s win over Furman University at Robins Stadium.

The Spiders took the lead early, scoring five goals in the first quarter and three in the first three minutes of the game. Furman didn’t score its first goal until several minutes into the second quarter.

Three goals early in the third quarter gave Richmond an 8-1 lead and took away any hope of the Paladins making a comeback. The Spiders failed to score in the fourth quarter and gave up another goal with 6:21 left, but Furman failed to score again to seal its 8-2 loss to Richmond.

The trio of J.P. Forester, Mitch Goldberg and Alex Hatem, who each scored two goals, powered the Spiders’ offense. Cory Palmer and A.J. Lapitino each added a goal as well. Richmond’s starting goalie played all but the last three minutes, giving up just one goal and making four saves.

In addition to outshooting the Paladins 38-14, the Spiders dominated possession, winning 10 out of 13 face-offs and securing 46 ground balls compared with just 18 for Furman.

If Richmond had one weakness, it was its inability to capitalize on extra-man opportunities, converting on just one of five such instances.

The win moves the Spiders to 7-4 (3-0 in SoCon) in just their second season. Both seven overall wins and three conference wins top last year’s totals and stand as new franchise records. The Spiders’ next game is Saturday on the road against High Point.