In the Know: UCI Road World Championship Men’s Elite Road Race

Junior men's time trial
Junior men's time trial

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond. This week we bring you a special edition explaining what's going on this Sunday when the UCI Road World Championships reach campus. 

Races and events for UCI Road World Championships have been occurring throughout the city of Richmond this week. But once the Men’s Elite Road Race reaches the University of Richmond campus on Sunday, here’s all the information you need to know in order to navigate campus and watch the race as it passes through.

On-Campus Road Closures

The first on-campus road closure will begin Saturday, Sept. 26 at 9 a.m. This will only affect Richmond Way, the short span of road that runs along Boatwright Library and Tyler Haynes Commons, between Westhampton Way and Lakeview Lane. This will enable UCI to install the start line, tents and other structures needed for the race on Sunday morning, said Cynthia Price, UR’s director of media and public relations.

On the day of the race, Sunday, Sept. 27, the entire race route closes to traffic at 7:45 a.m. Visitors and students will still be able to walk along the route until the race begins at 9 a.m.

Off-campus visitors looking to watch the race will be able to get to campus on Sunday morning through any entrance except the Boatwright entrance, which is part of the race route. There will also be designated parking areas for fans.

Once the riders pass through campus, the route and closures will be cleared, bringing campus back to normal operations by Sunday afternoon, Price said.

On-Campus Building Closures

During the race, all on-campus buildings, with the exception of Tyler Haynes Commons and the Heilman Dining Center, will be closed to the public. If you are a student who normally has access to a specific building, for example Gottwald, you will still have your access even though it is not open to the public, Price said.

Boatwright Library, because of its proximity to the start of the race, will be closed to everyone from 4 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Sunday.

The Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness will be open during its normal hours, 9 a.m. to midnight. 

Fan Experience

The hill in front of Boatwright Library, the entrance to Carole Weinstein International Center, the Millhiser Green outside of the Admissions building and the turn from Campus Drive onto to Boatwright Drive are all good places to watch the race, Price said.

Students are encouraged to wear Richmond apparel or red shirts and watch the race from the Tyler Haynes Commons overpass, directly above the start line, Steve Bisese, vice president for student development, wrote in an email.

As an incentive, the first 50 students to join Bisese on the overpass will be entered into the Bookstore’s bike giveaway contest.

Students will also make up Richmond’s “fan brigade,” the volunteers responsible for handing out giveaway items and getting the crowds excited for the event, Bisese wrote.

Along Gateway Road, which is the staging area for all of the teams, people can go over before the race to watch the riders and teams get prepared.

“Cycling is one of those sports where it’s very fan-driven,” Price said. “[Cyclists] love to interact with their fans.”

On the day of the race, volunteers will also be handing out red “The World Rides at UR” signs for fans to wave during the race. These signs are also a place to collect autographs from the riders before the race if you choose, Price said.

Dining Options

Although Boatwright Library will be closed the morning of the race, 8:15 at Boatwright will be open from 7-10 a.m. Tyler’s Grill and Passport Café will also be open from 7-10 a.m. The Heilman Dining Center will be open for a full breakfast from 7-10:30 a.m. and then for brunch starting at 11 a.m.

The community is encouraged and welcome to visit these dining locations while on campus for the race, Price said. 

Contact managing editor Brooke Harty at brooke.harty@richmond.edu.