Weekly Spider Sports Recap

Football

After trailing the majority of the game, the Spiders outscored the Hampton Pirates 15-0 in the fourth quarter to come back and win 31-28.

The Pirates had a comfortable 14-0 lead halfway into the first quarter after they scored two quick touchdowns on the Spiders. The Spiders responded with a deep 42-yard catch from junior Brian Brown on a drive that ended with a one-yard touchdown run from junior Jacobi Green.

The Spiders entered the second half trailing 21-10 and each offense scored one touchdown in the third quarter. The first play of the fourth quarter began with an explosive 12-yard touchdown run from senior Seth Fisher. A second touchdown came in the form of a Kyle Lauletta screen pass to senior Reggie Diggs who scampered for 36 yards. Green’s two-point conversion sealed the game score, and Richmond’s defense held the Pirates for the remaining time.

A few Spiders saw good moments throughout the game. Lauletta had a career-high 247 yards on 20-32 passes. His favorite target was Brown, who covered 108 yards on 8 catches. Fisher dominated the running game with 90 yards on 14 carries, and Omar Howard led the defense with 10 tackles.

The Spiders’ first home game will be this Saturday at 6 p.m. against VMI in Robins Stadium. They will be missing starting cornerback Tafon Mainsah and defensive lineman Brandon Waller, who both suffered apparent knee injuries during the game and are expected to miss a significant time.

Field Hockey

The Liberty Flames were the second tough team that the Spiders had to face on the road this season. The ranked team derailed the Spiders, finishing with a 7-1 win over them at the Liberty Field Hockey Complex Tuesday night. The first goal came from Richmond senior Kimberly Sportack on a counterattack just four minutes into the game. The defense played well most of the first half, but two late Liberty goals sent the Spiders into halftime losing 2-1. The Flames came out of the locker room with newfound energy and added five more goals to the score before calling it a night. The Spiders were able to regain some offensive momentum late in the game, but Flames goalkeeper Mallory Cuccio did not allow any more goals.

On Friday evening, the Spiders lost 4-1 against James Madison at home. The Dukes outshot the Spiders 15-4, with an 11-2 advantage of shots on goal. Junior Emma Johansson scored the only goal of the day for the Spiders in the second half by maneuvering around the keeper and getting a score on the board for Richmond.

The Spiders wrapped up the weekend with a 6-1 loss to the 12th-ranked Wake Forest Demon Deacons on the road. They are the third nationally ranked team that the Spiders have had to face away in the last two weeks. The only Spider goal of the game was scored by sophomore Kasey Gilbride off of a penalty corner from Avery Safford in the first half.

Richmond will have its first conference game next Friday at Lock Haven at 3 p.m.

Soccer

The Spiders spent their weekend at the UNC Wilmington Hilton Garden Inn Invitational tournament in North Carolina, their first out-of-state competition of the season.

The first game on Friday night was played against the home team, UNCW. The Spiders lost the game 4-0 after the Seahawks outshot them 17-5. Richmond’s freshman goalkeeper Jessica Stanfill made 4 saves in the first half, but let one goal in right before halftime. In the second half, the Seahawks put 3 more goals in the back of the net to wrap up the game.

Nationally ranked St. John’s was also able to shutout the Spiders with a 3-0 victory on Sunday. Richmond had 7 shots on goal throughout the game, but none of them were on target. Richmond’s next game will be on the road against James Madison on Friday at 5 p.m.