Ask Eric: How to spend summer 2021 and making goose friends

<p><em>Graphic by The Collegian</em></p>

Graphic by The Collegian

Editor's Note: Ask Eric is an advice column published every Tuesday. Anonymous questions are taken from this Google form. Questions are also taken both from The Collegian's Instagram, @thecollegianur, and via email, collegianaskeric@gmail.com. The views and opinions expressed in this article do not reflect those of The Collegian.

How can one do class outside?

Doing your zoom classes outside when the weather is nice can be a great way to get out of a monotonous routine. The first step will be to pick a location that has a stable internet connection, or if you have unlimited data, set up a hotspot anywhere you’d like. Then, get in a comfortable position so that you can take notes, and participate in your class while enjoying the sun!

What is the best meal at the Heilman Dining Center?

I have a love-hate relationship with d-hall. Sometimes, when there is Indian food or soul food, I really enjoy dining hall meals. Other times, when there is the same hibachi rice, fish, turkey or odd meatloaf type of dish days in a row, I feel like the dining hall is the worst option on campus.

What should I do for the summer?

This summer is going to be a very long one. In-person internship opportunities are limited, and travel is certainly going to be difficult, because it is still not completely safe. You may find yourself, once again, bored in your house for days on end. 

In order to combat this impending boredom, you should research virtual internships/academic programs so that you maintain a routine. You can also organize short trips with a small group of friends to a cool local sight. Airbnbs can be very cheap when split between a group. 

Finally, try to take up some sort of new hobby or learn a new skill with your new-found time. It can be very difficult to find motivation for that sort of thing, especially when it’s easier to just lay in bed all day, but eventually this weighs on a person. Even if it is for just 20 minutes a day, doing something enjoyable and active will boost your mood!

How can I get triceragoose to be my friend?

The easiest method is food, but feeding the geese is unadvisable. A better method would be to follow Triceragoose on Instagram, maybe shoot her a DM. 

Contact "Eric" at collegianaskeric@gmail.com.