A Day in RVA

<p>Ashby's is located in Carytown and is currently available for online orders.&nbsp;</p>

Ashby's is located in Carytown and is currently available for online orders. 

As temperatures rise and the days get nicer, University of Richmond students are imagining ways to explore all that Richmond has to offer in a COVID-safe way once travel off campus is permissible. 

The city of Richmond has much to offer with many parks, restaurants and stores to visit. The city has multiple different districts, each offering new activities and things to try. Here is a list of options that can help plan the perfect spring day in Richmond:

MORNING: Start the day off right with a delicious breakfast in downtown Richmond. 

Bar Solita - Bar Solita is a high-end Mediterranean restaurant that opened in 2018, but has already secured a spot in the hearts of Richmonders. The chic restaurant located in Jackson Ward features small-plate style dining, however, it is also known for its brunch options. Brunch is available on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The restaurant serves a range of options from breakfast pizza, tres leches waffles and eggs, to sandwiches and salads. However, the must-try dish is a shareable cinnamon bun with cream cheese icing and topped with berries. 

Lulus - Lulus is a well-known brunch spot located in Shockoe Bottom that was listed on OpenTable’s “Top 100 Brunch Restaurants in America” in 2015, 2016 and 2017. The contemporary restaurant is solely a location for brunch and is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. There is seating both indoor and outdoor, making it a perfect option for a warm spring day. The restaurant features a large menu with options for any craving- sweet, savory or a mix of both. The most famous item on the menu is the red velvet waffles that are accompanied by pecan cream cheese and strawberries on the side. 

MID-DAY: Richmond has many places to explore all across the city for fun mid-day adventures. 

There are activities for those who love the outdoors and others who prefer to shop. 

Maymont Park - Maymont Park is a beautiful estate and park located in Richmond that has activities for people of all ages. It sits on 100 acres of land and is the location of many fun events. The park has many different gardens for people to walk around, including both a Japanese and Italian garden. In addition to the gardens, there is an abundance of animals to see because of the Maymont Farm, the Robins Nature Center and Wildlife Habitats. The farm on the estate is home to chickens, sheep, goats, rabbits, donkeys, cows, pigs and horses and has space around the barn for picnics. Visiting this park is free unless using the feed dispensers for the animals or visiting the Robins Nature Center. 

Short Pump Mall - The Short Pump Town Center is an open-air mall located in Richmond open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m on weekdays and 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays. The mall is only 20 minutes from campus and has countless stores and restaurants to choose from. Spending the afternoon here is a great option for those who want a break from the outdoors or are looking to refresh their wardrobe. 

NIGHT TIME: Carytown a perfect place to look for dinner at its well-known and endless amount of food options. 

Burger Bach - Burger Bach is the perfect location for a more relaxed dining experience in Carytown but still with delicious food. The New Zealand-inspired Gastropub has multiple locations across Virginia and opened one in Carytown in 2017. The restaurant offers a wide selection of burgers that appeal to all different tastes. However, burgers are not all they offer, the restaurant also has a selection of seafood for customers to choose from. In addition, they serve made-to-order fries with a choice of over 15 different dipping sauces to choose from.

East Coast Provisions - East Coast Provisions is another Carytown favorite that offers a variety of seafood, sushi, and hand-cut steaks. The restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor seating in their two-story eatery. The exposed brick on the interior gives off hip vibes and fits the decor of the restaurant nicely. The menu offers a variety of seafood-centered sandwiches, starters, salads and entrees that appeal to all tastes. 

Contact lifestyle writer Lucia Helmers at lucia.helmers@richmond.edu.