Ryan Lanchbury drafted into the National Lacrosse League

<p>Players on the University of Richmond men's lacrosse team prepare for practice.</p>

Players on the University of Richmond men's lacrosse team prepare for practice.

University of Richmond graduate student Ryan Lanchbury was the No. 2 overall pick in the National Lacrosse League by the Georgia Swarm in the 2021 draft. 

Lanchbury is the first Spider to be drafted. He will return for his sixth year to play for the Spiders in the 2022 season, and he will start his career for the Georgia Swarm in the 2022-2023 season. 

Lanchbury is ranked second all-time in UR scoring history with 212 points from his 122 goals and 90 assists. He was named Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Year in the 2021 season, making him the first Spider in program history to earn the award. 

He started playing lacrosse at three years old, and he dreamed of being drafted to the NLL from the start.  

“All of my life has been centered around this sport,” Lanchbury said. “It felt rewarding to know that the countless number of hours dedicated to lacrosse was well worth it.”

In 2021, he broke many program records throughout the season. He was the first Spider to be named to the Tewaaraton watch list in two separate seasons; his 67 points ranked him third all-time in program history in a single season, and he averaged 5.15 points per game, which was the program record for a single season. His 39-assist record was also the seventh highest in the country.

Coming into the 2022 season, UR is ranked No. 22 by USA Lacrosse in preseason ranking. Lanchbury comes into his sixth year hoping to bring home a national championship. 

“This team has an immense amount of talent in all areas of the field and an unparalleled level of support for one another,” Lanchbury said. “I know we will do everything we can to win this spring.”

He thanks UR for his success in the sport: “I believe my game has become much more well-rounded, especially when it comes to my athleticism. I have certainly made strides in my strength and speed since my arrival on campus, and that is a testament to the fantastic staff we have here. Each day I am pushed outside my comfort zone to be a better version of myself than the day before.”

The NLL currently has 13 teams, eight in the United States and five in Canada. Lanchbury hopes to win a world championship with Georgia and learn from some of the best players and coaches in the world. 

The Georgia Swarm owner and GM John Arlotta commented on drafting Lanchbury.

“As is the Swarm’s philosophy, we draft players who bring both talent and character, and this year is no exception,” Swarm Owner and GM John Arlotta said. “Ryan Lanchbury is a great example – he is a captain and leader on an NCAA playoff caliber team at the University of Richmond, and he has consistently been one of the top players in the Canadian Junior A and Senior box lacrosse leagues.”  

Head Coach Dan Chemotti sees the impact that Lanchbury has on the UR men’s lacrosse team. Chemotti recognizes Lanchbruy as a versatile player, and the ability to make his teammates better as he can play with and without the ball. 

“Ryan has been a force for years, both in field and box lacrosse.  He has been working his whole life for the opportunity to play in the NLL and him being drafted 2nd overall is a credit to his talent and hard work.  We are all very proud of him,” Chemotti said. 

Lanchbury will play in his final season as a Spider in the 2022 season and will then start his career in the NLL.  

“I truly am living out my dreams, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds,” Lanchbury said.

Contact sports writer Lexie Moskovit at lexie.moskovit@richmond.edu.