Women’s basketball loses to Rhode Island, 69-66

<p>Sophomore forward Addie Budnik takes it to the basket at the Feb.19 game against Rhode Island University.</p>

Sophomore forward Addie Budnik takes it to the basket at the Feb.19 game against Rhode Island University.

The University of Richmond women’s basketball team lost 69-66 against Rhode Island University despite an explosive offensive performance in the second half.  

In the first half of the game, the Rams were able to make consistent driving plays on the Spiders’ defense with a score of 42-31 at halftime, but the Spiders kept the game close with their offense. 

At the end of the third quarter, the Spiders came within reach at 58-52 thanks to sophomore guard Siobhan Ryan’s three-pointer in the final moments and the team’s defensive rebounding. 

In the last quarter, it seemed that the Spiders were going to make a comeback with Squires hitting a three-pointer and sophomore guard Grace Townsend scoring a field goal to keep the game within two points of a tie. 

Because of the strong offense by Rhode Island, the Spiders were not able to capitalize on offense and win the game. 

After the Rams shot at the free-throw line, the Spiders got the ball back with 0.2 seconds left on the clock. Squires missed the final shot of the game, and the Rams secured their victory. 

Despite being an underdog, the Spiders were able to keep the game alive with their explosive offense and defensive rebounding. 

“We held them to 41% shooting for us that’s a good as defensive team that we’ll see all season,” said Aaron Roussell, the Spiders head coach during the post-game press conference. 

The Spiders had an overall field goal percentage of 56.6%, three-point percentage of 45.8 % and free throws made of 62.5%. They were led by Squires with 27 points, 10 field goals, seven three-pointers and five rebounds. 

“I’m just really proud of the effort,” Roussell said. “We did a lot of great things. Hopefully, we can continue to play like that.”

This was the 27th meeting between the two teams. Overall, UR has led the matchup 19-7, but the Rams have now won the last five meetings.

The Spiders will play again at 6 p.m. on Feb. 23 against Fordham University at the Robins Center. 

Contact sports writer Johnny Chadoyan at johnny.chadoyan@richmond.edu.