Spider Sports Recap | Week of Nov. 14

<p>Senior forward Tyler Burton takes a three-pointer late in the second half of the Nov. 17 game against Wichita State University.&nbsp;</p>

Senior forward Tyler Burton takes a three-pointer late in the second half of the Nov. 17 game against Wichita State University. 

Men’s basketball

Nov. 14: Loss 92-90 against College of Charleston

The University of Richmond men’s basketball team lost to the College of Charleston in overtime while on the road. Early in the second half, the Spiders were down 56-35. But, an 11-0 run allowed the Spiders to get back into the game. With 2:40 left of the game, the Spiders took the lead, with a three-pointer from graduate student forward Isaiah Bigelow. Senior forward Tyler Burton made back-to-back field goals in the final minute of regulation, putting the Spiders up 81-78. But, the Spiders fouled a Charleston player, putting him on the line where he scored three free-throws, forcing overtime. In overtime, the Spiders were unable to come out victorious and lost the game by two points. Burton had a career-high 38 points this game, the most any Spider has gotten since Jan. 19, 2013. 

Nov. 17: Loss 56-53 against Wichita State University

The men’s basketball team lost to Wichita State University at home. Wichita’s zone defense held off the Spiders as they were down 12-3 early in the half. At the half, the Spiders were down 28-19, and shooting 31% in the field and 3-17 from the three-point range. At the beginning of the second half, though, Bigelow scored the first five points, putting UR within four points of the Shockers. UR took the lead when Bigelow had an explosive and-1 dunk, and made a three-pointer following that. Wichita State then had a 13-2 run, regaining the lead, and the Spiders were unable to overcome that. Bigelow had his second career double-double, his first as a Spider, with 16 points and 11 rebounds.

Swimming and diving

Nov. 17-19: George Mason University Invitational

The women’s swimming and diving team traveled to the 2022 Patriot Invitational hosted by George Mason University. They came in 4th place out of seven teams, with a total score of 505 points. On Saturday, junior diver Zazi Halla finished 6th with 239.95 points on the one-meter board. Senior swimmer Lauren Medlin finished in 5th place in the 100 freestyle with a time of 51.56. 

Women’s basketball

Nov. 17: Win 64-57 against University of Maryland, Baltimore County

The women’s basketball team came out victorious against the University of Maryland, Baltimore County Retrievers this Thursday. Before the game began, UMBC was issued a technical, allowing junior forward Addie Budnik a pair of free-throw shots. During the first quarter, the Spiders had a three minute offensive drought, but broke it when graduate student forward Emilija Krista Grava and first-year guard Rachel Ullstrom scored back-to-back three-pointers. The Spiders trailed 17-18 at the end of the first-quarter. During the second quarter, the Spiders gained the lead when the Retrievers had a three-minute scoring drought and went into the second half leading 37-31. In the third quarter, the Spiders had a nine-point lead three different times and ended the quarter ahead 51-45. Toward the end of the fourth quarter, the Retrievers got within three points, but sophomore guard Katie Hill and junior guard Grace Townsend each made two free-throws, ending the game with a win.

Nov. 20: Win 68-65 against Hampton University

The women’s basketball team won against Hampton University in the Robins Center in overtime. The Spiders held a lead during the first three quarters, but it started to slip during the fourth. In the fourth quarter, Hampton scored 22 points, compared to UR’s 11, scoring three free-throws and a jumper to tie the game at 58-58 and force overtime. In overtime, Budnik made a layup, Hill stole the ball and also made a layup and Townsend made a three-pointer. The Spiders were now in the lead 65-58, and solidified the win with a three-pointer from Townsend and defensive rebounds from Grava and Hill. 

Football

Nov. 19: Loss 37-26 against The College of William and Mary

In their 133rd meeting, the Spiders lost to William & Mary during the Capital Cup. During the first quarter, the Spiders made two field goals, while the Tribe made a touchdown, putting the score at 7-6. At the beginning of the second quarter, graduate wide receiver Jakob Herres scored from a six-yard pass from graduate quarterback Reece Udinski. The Tribe answered with a touchdown and field goal, putting them in the lead. After the half, the Tribe scored two more touchdowns, making the score 31-13, when Herres scored another touchdown with 56 seconds left in the quarter. In the fourth quarter, redshirt senior running back Aaron Dykes scored, making the score 31-26. But the Tribe made another touchdown, and the Spiders were unable to overcome the deficit.

Contact sports writer Annie Clarkson at annie.clarkson@richmond.edu.