Spider Sports Recap | Week of Oct. 24

<p>&nbsp;The grassy field of Robin’s Stadium sporting the Spider’s red and blue.&nbsp;</p>

The grassy field of Robin’s Stadium sporting the Spider’s red and blue. 

Field Hockey 

October 28: Loss 2-1 against VCU

In its final game of the regular season, the University of Richmond field hockey team lost in a close game away against crosstown rival Virginia Commonwealth University. While VCU took an early 1-0 lead in the first period, junior forward Madi Hyatt scored a little over a minute into the second period to make it 1-1. The score remained tied at halftime. In the fourth period, however, the Rams scored again with a little under seven minutes to play. UR was unable to score again, making it three losses to end the season for the Spiders. The field hockey team did not make the Atlantic 10 Championship tournament and finished the season with a 6-12 record overall. 

Football 

October 29: Win 31-21 against Maine

The football team notched its sixth win away against the University of Maine. UR started the game quickly and led 21-7 at halftime. Graduate student quarterback Reece Udinski, who was later named the Colonial Athletic Conference offensive player of the week, threw for 368 yards, threw two touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns. Redshirt senior running back Aaron Dykes rushed 15 times for 67 yards and redshirt senior running back Dante Black rushed four times for 61 yards. Graduate wide receiver Jakob Herres racked up 174 yards receiving on the day and caught UR’s longest touchdown since 2019 — a 63-yard pass from Udinski. This marked UR’s third win in a row and puts the Spiders’ record at 6-2 overall and 4-1 in conference play. 

Men’s Cross Country 

October 29: Finished 11th overall in A-10 Championship

The men’s cross country team placed 11th in the A-10 Championship in Mechanicsville, Virginia. The Spiders hosted the tournament and 15 schools competed in the five mile race. UR placed ahead of Davidson College, Duquesne University, Virginia Commonwealth University and St. Bonaventure University. Redshirt senior Peter Borger was UR’s first finisher, placing 31st overall with a time of 25:07.3. UR’s next finisher, junior Stuart Terrill, finished 50th overall with a time of 25:28.8. 

Women’s Cross Country 

October 29: Finished 6th overall in A-10 Championship 

The women’s cross country team placed 6th overall in the A-10 Championship in Mechanicsville, Virginia. UR hosted the women’s 5k race and 15 schools competed in the event. The Spiders placed ahead of the University of Massachusetts, Davidson College, Duquesne University, the University of Rhode Island, St. Joseph’s University, Saint Louis University, Fordham University, St. Bonaventure University and Virginia Commonwealth University. Junior Madison Trippett finished 9th overall with a time of 17:25.5. UR’s second and third finishers, sophomore Laurel Kurtz and junior Elizabeth Stockman, finished 12th and 20th overall, with times of 17:34.3 and 17:58.2, respectively. Trippett and Kurtz were named to the first team All-Conference.