UR Weekly Roundup | Week of Nov. 12

<p>Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.</p>

Photos by Madyson Fitzgerald and Ben Wasserstein.

The annual International Education Week is back, and Thanksgiving break is only a few days away. If you have free time this week, here are some events worth checking out. 

Raising Lazarus

Tuesday 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

This talk, hosted by the Virginia Museum of History and Culture, will feature Virginia-based journalist and author Beth Macy. She will discuss her third book, “Raising Lazarus: Hope, Justice, and the Future of America’s Overdose Crisis,” a deep dive into how this country is dealing with the opioid crisis and a follow-up to her bestselling book, “Dopesick.” Tickets are $10 and can be purchased here.

Local-Global Sustainability Fair

Wednesday 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

This year’s IE Week centers around local and global sustainability, with an emphasis on justice, indigenous communities and rivers. Come to the IE Week Fair in the Tyler Haynes Commons for a chance to learn about topics such as sustainability in children’s literature, the Amazon’s mapping process and UR’s study abroad partner programs. You can find the full schedule of IE Week here.

International Dinner

Wednesday 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

As part of IE Week, there will be a special dinner in the Heilman Dining Center highlighting the cuisine of four past IE Week nations: Denmark, Japan, New Zealand and South Africa. Check out the full menu here.

Fairview

Thursday to Saturday 7:30 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 2 p.m.

“Fairview,” written by Jackie Sibblies Drury, follows the Frasier family as they get ready for a birthday celebration for grandma, which quickly takes an unforeseen turn. This comedy is a production by the Department of Theater and Dance and will take place in the Cousins Studio Theater. Tickets are free and can be purchased here.

Indoor Rock Climbing 

Friday 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Are you looking to take up a new sport? The Outdoor and Recreational Services is organizing a trip to the Triangle Rock Club Richmond, where you can try out a variety of climbing walls suitable for climbers of all levels. Transportation will be provided; admission is $8.50 and can be purchased here

Contact lifestyle editor Son Tran at son.tran@richmond.edu