Monday, April 29, 2024

Willett wins over Shaia in tight margin

<p>Graphic design Helen Mei.&nbsp;</p>

Graphic design Helen Mei. 

Democrat Rodney Willett won the race for the 58th District of the Virginia House of Delegates on Tuesday night, defeating Republican Riley Shaia by a margin of 53%-47%.

In a statement posted by Willett on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, he wrote: “I want to thank the residents of Henrico who participated in today’s election and am honored they have chosen me to return to the House of Delegates to represent them.” 

He also extended his thanks to Shaia, commending her efforts as a first-time candidate. 

The newly redrawn 58th District is mostly composed of the old 73rd District, where Willett was elected back in 2021, leading him to be widely considered as the incumbent, according to the Richmond Times Dispatch. He focused his campaign on women’s reproductive rights, affordable healthcare and gun control.

On his campaign website, he emphasized his bipartisanship in dealing with pressing matters. Both Willett and Shaia shared similar views on increased funding for public schools and greater access to resources to deal with mental health and substance abuse.

Historically, the 58th District has narrowly voted for Democratic candidates in previous state and federal elections. This year, the district followed a similar path, with the race having been too close to call for the majority of the night. 

This race was among the most expensive House contests this year, with Willett raising $1.73 million according to the Virginia Public Access Project, while Shaia raised $1.15 million. 

Contact multimedia editor Gareth Woo and contributing writer Rosalie Hinke at gareth.woo@richmond.edu and rosalie.hinke@richmond.edu.