Spiders finish perfect at home with win against Duquesne

Graduate guard Laren VanArsdale during the Feb. 28 game against Duquesne University. Courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

History was made at the Robins Center Feb. 28 as the University of Richmond women’s basketball team posted its first undefeated home record in the NCAA era with a 90-74 rout of Duquesne University.

In a full-team effort that saw five Spiders tally double-digit points, it was UR’s time to return the favor from a 13-point loss dealt by the Dukes a month prior.

Sophomore forward Maddie Doogan opened the scoring for the Spiders with a 3-pointer less than 30 seconds in, but despite keeping the Dukes off the scoreboard for the first three minutes, UR could not grow its lead. 

Both teams traded slim leads throughout the first quarter, as defense on each end stiffened inside the arc. The Spiders were forced to take their first eight shots from 3-point range, netting two as the Dukes slowly built out their first lead of the contest. Duquesne’s advantage totaled only around 90 seconds, however, as senior guard Grace Townsend hit a layup to tie the game at 13 en route to a team-leading 19 points.

Facing a 21-17 deficit heading into the second quarter, the Dukes remained on their heels as again, the Spider defense kept them scoreless for several minutes. The resulting 11-2 run was underpinned by sophomore guard Rachel Ullstrom, who notched 5 of her 9 second-quarter points during this span.

UR managed to keep the Dukes at bay until the break with their suffocating defense. In one instance as the quarter wound down, graduate guard Laren VanArsdale tipped an inbounded ball just out of reach of the Dukes’ guard, preserving a 13-point lead for the Spiders with her second steal of the game.

“She’s had a really special season for us,” UR Head Coach Aaron Roussell said in a postgame press conference. “[VanArsdale] has had some great moments… I just thought that her defensively today was a different presence.”

VanArsdale and Townsend led the Spiders’ 30-point third quarter, recording 8 and 12 points respectively as the Spiders surged to a 22-point lead. Doogan, VanArsdale and Townsend all scored on consecutive possessions, while on the defensive end, the Dukes were held to 29% shooting from the field and 16 points.

Although the Spiders were finally outscored in the fourth quarter, their 22-point third quarter lead proved more than insurmountable, as the lowest the margin ever came was 15 points. 

The Dukes continued high-press, full-court coverage into the fourth quarter in a bid to recoup some points and foul the Spiders. UR proved it was just as comfortable scoring from the line, going 20-for-23 on free throws for the game. From the field, Doogan and senior guard Siobhan Ryan combined to put up 7 points.

“It was a great team win,” VanArsdale said in a postgame press conference. “Everybody played their role, everybody did what they had to do. 

Townsend also said that “everyone stepped up, played a great game all around.”

With the win, the Spiders strengthened their hold on first place in the conference. They will look to retain that distinction when rounding out their regular season at St. Bonaventure University at 1 p.m. on March 2.

Contact sports writer Scott Valentine at scott.valentine@richmond.edu.