Unknown suspect(s) vandalized 11 vehicles in K-lot during the early morning hours of Saturday, Oct. 16, said University of Richmond Police Capt. Beth Simonds.

Between the hours of 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., unidentified suspect(s) damaged 11 University of Richmond student vehicles in lot R16, formerly known as K-lot, causing an estimated $3,000 in damages.

The cars had a lot of damage, which was clearly not accidental, Simonds said.

The rear and side windows and mirrors of many cars had been smashed by an object, Simonds said as she examined the photos of the badly damaged vehicles.

Three license plates were also reported stolen, in addition to the other damages, she said.

"There were a lot of alcohol-related referrals and arrests this weekend, too," Simonds said. "Generally, when we see a lot of alcohol-related issues, the vandalism crimes increase."

A student was arrested on charges of driving under the influence, and another was charged with drunk-in-public, among other alcohol-related incidents on campus, Simonds said.

The University of Richmond Police Department is requesting students, and others, to divulge any information regarding these vandalisms, including information of suspicious persons who may be involved in the incidents.

Anyone with information regarding these crimes is encouraged to contact Investigator Tim Mihalcoe at (804) 289-8543, or use the silent witness link: www.witness.richmond.edu. All silent witness users' identities will remain confidential.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Contact staff writer Fred Shaia at fred.shaia@richmond.edu

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Collegian.