Second City returns to Modlin

(L-R): Mark Raterman, Ross Bryant, Tim Robinson, Megan Wilkins, Dana Quercioli.

The Modlin Center for the Arts is hosting the comedy troupe The Second City — a performance group that boasts such famous alumni as Stephen Colbert, Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Steve Carrell and Tina Fey — on Friday and Saturday.

The Second City has performed at the Modlin Center three times in the past, with its last performance in 2007. Marketing Director Tiffanie Chan said whenever the Center has the chance to include the group in its line up, it takes the opportunity.

"The show is always a huge success, and we love having them come in the beginning of the season to get things off to a great start," Chan said.

The Second City, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary, is based in Chicago and is recognized for being a major player in the comedic improvisation world, as well as for its famous alumni.

Typically the group puts on a performance that lasts for one-and-a-half to two hours, and resembles the format of shows similar to "Saturday Night Live" and "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" Chan said.

"We put an audience advisory on it because it's definitely not for all ages," she said. "It's the sort of hilarious, inappropriate humor that college kids love."

As it has in the past, The Second City will have a connection with University of Richmond's only improv group, Subject to Change. Previously, students in Subject to Change have had a chance to work directly with The Second City performers both on the stage and in a workshop the touring group hosts.

This year The Second City will be hosting an additional workshop with students who are interested in improv but don't have much prior experience, said senior Paul Kappel, director of Subject to Change.

Junior Lindsay Deacon, a member of Subject to Change, said everyone in the comedy troupe has been excited for The Second City to come perform, as well as work on improv with them.

"We generally refer to a book written by The Second City alumni called 'Truth in Comedy' during our rehearsals, so SC's success and talent for improv comedy is a really important influence on STC in general," Kappel said.

The show has been advertised to students with brochures, on television screens in Tyler Haynes Commons and on Facebook. But, Chan said the Modlin Center's primary promotional tool was word-of-mouth. A lot of students hear how great the first night was from their friends and go to the second night of the performance, she said.

"I haven't seen them in the past, but all my friends have said the show is genuinely hilarious and that I should really try to get out and see it," senior Abbe Horswill said. "So seeing as this is my last chance, this year I'm planning on going."

The show is scheduled for Sept. 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. in the Alice Jepson Theatre. Tickets are $8 for students and $28 for UR faculty and staff, and are available at the Modlin Center box office. The show has sold out for past performances, and is expected to do so again, Chan said.

Kappel said he recommended any students who could come out to the show should do so.

"The Second City is truly the best there is, and it's a guaranteed good time," he said.

Contact staff writer Maggie Finucane at margaretfinucane@richmond.edu