Women interested in math and science start campus forum

Arlene Blum who is a guest speaker for Women in Mathematics and Science Initiative is telling her audience about her book.

The University of Richmond Women in Math and Science Initiative is providing a forum for women interested in the sciences, mathematics and computer science to meet and discuss the issues surrounding the fields that often lack women.

The Women in Math and Science Initiative (WIMS) moved from the idea stage to a reality this fall, mathematics professor Della Fenster said. Seniors Erin Brady and Calina Copos, and sophomore Laura Zemcik came to Fenster and Kelly Shaw, the assistant professor of computer science, last December with the desire to create a group for women in the math and science departments, Fenster said.

As curriculum levels of mathematics, computer science and natural science courses increase, the number of women within the classes decreases, Fenster said. In this semester's multivariable calculus class there are only three girls enrolled, sophomore Patty Laverty said.

Programs at St. Mary's College of Maryland and Carleton College in Minnesota inspired Richmond's WIMS group. St. Mary's has excellent housing on campus for its group and Carleton College has one of the most successful summer math programs for women, Fenster said.

In order to make WIMS a success, Fenster said, the group has focused on creating a critical mass of women to attend meetings and acquiring female role models in math and science.

WIMS has students, faculty and local women talk about their experiences in the mathematics and science fields from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays. The first few meetings featured faculty and students, sophomore Jordan Cates said.

Cates talked about the research on wavelets she had done this summer. Wavelets are matrices that are used to compress image files and de-noise sound files, she said.

The faculty discussed issues such as taking maternity leave while working in the math and science field, Cates said.

In September WIMS hosted Ashley Silverburg, the chief data architect and chief financial officer of Phytorion, Inc. Phytorion is a software company that produces a type of software similar to BannerWeb, Fenster said.

Not only did Silverburg talk about her company, but she also talked about managing a family and a career in science, Fenster said.

Most recently, WIMS had biochemist and political science advocate Arlene Blum speak on Oct. 14.

Blum rallied for the removal of flame retardants in children's sleepwear. Blum had wondered why the government would allow these chemicals in sleepwear and became involved in science policy work, Fenster said.

Blum was part of the first women's expedition to Mount McKinley and has climbed Mount Everest in Tibet, Annapurna in Nepal and Bhrigupanth in the Indian Himalayas.

Even though Blum was constantly told that women couldn't climb mountains, she accomplished her goal, Fenster said.

Female role models such as Blum inspire women to try new things, she said.

In addition to hosting speakers, WIMS has one community-building activity per semester. The group went on a six-mile hike this September with Dean Juliette Landphair to Cold Mountain in George Washington National Park.

All the women who had won the Nobel Prize before Maria Goeppert-Mayer - who received the award in 1963 - were outdoor enthusiasts, Fenster said. These women did everything from swimming across the Rhine to climbing the Alps, she said.

The hike had been like a dream come true, Fenster said, and it had provided a tangible experience with the group outside the classroom.

WIMS members plan to meet with a woman who is involved in science policy in Washington, D.C., this spring, Fenster said.

The group even has two private fitness classes scheduled for this semester: body pump and spinning.

WIMS members said they also hoped to have a community outreach activity. The group is interested in having a mathematics and science day for middle school girls, Cates and Laverty said.

Fenster said that a grant was currently in review for a joint program between Richmond's WIMS and Washington & Lee University. Once Washington & Lee is folded into the program, the groups can meet at each school once a semester, she said.

Even though women's issues are the main focus of WIMS, the group does not exclude men, Fenster said, and men have attended meetings.

Barry Lawson, an associate professor of computer science, attended a meeting because he wanted to see what challenges women faced in his field, Fenster said.

Fenster said she had hoped WIMS would inspire and equip women with the confidence to succeed.

At a table surrounded by men, it takes courage to be the only woman in the room, she said.

"It's all about making deposits into your courage bank," Fenster said.

Contact reporter Ryan Clark at ryan.clark@richmond.edu