Dangers of Web gossip

Dear Fellow Students,

It has come to our attention that there has been a resurgence of derogatory statements made about fellow members of the University of Richmond community on the Internet.

Our intent is not to pinpoint a certain Web site that facilitates this type of behavior; rather we seek to raise awareness and to create a community of respect, responsibility and acceptance. We feel that it is appropriate to address this issue and encourage everyone to assist us in building such a community.

We, as members of the University of Richmond, set an example for those around us not only in our community, but to others who have a vested interest in our school. We must be cognizant that it is essential for us, as students, to understand that our comments have direct implications on the way we view others and our surroundings.

We are fortunate to live in an age in which the Internet provides us with information instantaneously. However, we must choose to harness and not abuse the power of technology in modern day society. Information can be published on Web sites, sometimes thoughtlessly, in a matter of seconds. Yet, it can begin a lifetime of negative repercussions should the comment be detrimental in some way, shape or form.

What might not be offensive to one person may be offensive to someone else, so should you choose to express your views on a certain matter, please consider doing so constructively.

The University of Richmond has made tremendous strides to promote an inclusive and accepting atmosphere where students are encouraged to test their boundaries and to realize their potential. As students, we are held to a high standard of integrity and trust, and because of this we each must act in ways that respect our neighbors, our classmates, our faculty and staff and ourselves.

We have an opportunity to reject the negativity found on the Internet and to instead create a place that fosters mutual respect and understanding. As your student leaders, we feel that we can work together with you to establish this type of collaboration.

We close by thanking you for future cooperation and leave you with one last suggestion: Remember to think about the consequences associated with your actions, and to treat others the same way that you wish to be treated.

Yours sincerely,

Suren Daryanani, RCSGA President

Ali Amaral, WCGA President