Monday, May 06, 2024

Media Timeout: 8/26/2010

• Richmond graduate and MLB "Mr. Nice Guy," Sean "The Mayor" Casey ('95), was featured on "This Day in Sports" Tuesday for his on-field blooper in 2006 while playing for the Detroit Tigers. The Tigers hosted the White Sox, which turned into a 10-zip blowout for the visitors, but Casey slapped a line drive toward third baseman Joe Crede, who just missed gloving the ball. Casey took two dejected steps to the dugout, thinking the ball had been caught. Not so. The ball was still in play but his little blunder cost him a hit when he was out by half a step. It's OK, Casey, at least you were only remembered for a silly mistake. Many of your colleagues are remembered for the juicin'.

• The WNBA Playoffs started Wednesday night. Oh, you didn't know? Figures. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't check out a few games, especially any Phoenix Mercury game with reigning WNBA MVP Diana Taurasi. She recently signed a multiyear contract extension, in anticipation of adding yet another championship ring to her jewelry box.

• Walmart executives won't be saving money, but they may live better soon. The retail giant officials are continuing talks about a possible sponsorship of NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon's No. 24 Chevrolet next season. Well done, Walmart. You'll certainly be playing into the stereotype of where a NASCAR fan shops with this sponsorship. Just hope that Gordon doesn't roll back on his promise.

• Tiger Woods and his wife, Elin Nordegren, officially divorced Monday nine months after the late-night car crash outside Tiger's Orlando home. "I don't think you ever go into a marriage looking to get divorced," Woods said. As true as that is, most people don't go into a marriage looking for other women either.

• Marcus Jordan, Michael Jordan's son, posted on his Twitter account that he lost more than $50K in a Las Vegas casino while visiting his dad's fantasy basketball camp this week. Marcus, a member of the University of Central Florida men's basketball team, may not be able to ball like his father, but at least he can gamble like him.

Contact staff writers Amelia Vogler and Zak Kozuchowski at amelia.vogler@richmond.edu and zak.kozuchowski@richmond.edu