The definition of sports

What is considered a sport?

That's the age-old question, isn't it? A few nights ago, my friends and I, being the philosophical types that we are, arrived at this basic yet puzzling question.

We pondered this perplexity for a few moments, but in the end decided it is truly too hard to draw out a list that is absolute.

I'm discussing this topic because of the looming NASCAR races at Richmond International Raceway this Friday and Saturday, which my friends and I are planning on attending (P.s., you don't say: "We're going to NASCAR." You say: "We're going to the race." That's the proper race lingo.)

But really, who decides what is considered a sport anyway?

The Oxford English Dictionary defines sport as: (n.) 1. b.: Success, pleasure, or recreation derived from or afforded by an activity, originally and esp. hunting, shooting, or fishing.

Now, in my own humble opinion, I think that definition is a bit limited. It does not list nor define any of what many people consider to be "sports," such as: baseball, basketball, football, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, field hockey, skiing, swimming and diving, track and field, ice hockey, crew, golf, gymnastics, wrestling, rugby and volleyball.

But what about other conventional and Olympic sports that are not as well known? Horseback riding, badminton, table tennis, frisbee, synchronized swimming, water polo, weightlifting, fencing, cycling, snowboarding, ice skating and curling are all Olympic sports, yet some continue to debate their legitimacy in the level of athletic skill and ability necessary to compete.

Then there are still more activities considered sports, many of which are outdoor activities, including canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, surfing, archery, riflery and sailing.

Even still, there are the martial arts and other types of arts that require athletic prowess, such as cheerleading and dance.

Motor sports add more fuel to the fire in the debate. Then again, these listed sports do not include some of the sports indigenous to certain cultures and countries. For example, Ireland has two sports that hardly anyone knows about: Gaelic football and hurling (or camogie for women). The catalog of sports is endless.

Why are so many activities considered and categorized as a sport? Who is to say which hobby is more athletic than the next? I am no authority on this matter of discussion, but it has always intrigued me.

How does the Olympic committee deem certain sports worthy of gold medal competition while other sports are left in the dark, leaving the competitors feeling dejected and unworthy?

Many activities were unintentionally morphed into sports over the ages. Marathon running is an excellent, classic example: People have been running marathons since the times of ancient Greece.

Some sports have been born from works of fiction. Hell, we even have a Quidditch team on campus, thus adding a new sport to the mix.

Sports come in many different sizes, shapes and forms. Some require a team to compete, while others only need the will and desire of a single competitor.

I used to think that in order to consider something a sport, you had to have athletic skills that were pertinent to most sports, such as hand-to-eye coordination or the like.

But then you also had to have endurance and stamina for running and swimming. All of these qualities can be applied to all of the sports that have and have not been mentioned: There are simply too many types of athletics to report.

I guess in the end, if whatever it is that you are doing provides you the opportunity to succeed, enjoy and just take part in some form of recreation, then what you have is a sport. Let's see how long it takes for the Olympic committee to add beer pong to the Games. But, then again, would it be considered a summer or winter sport?

Contact staff writer Amelia Vogler at amelia.vogler@richmond.edu