Game Preview: Richmond vs. New Hampshire

For the first time this year, the University of Richmond football team will travel outside the state of Virginia as it takes on the University of New Hampshire at noon on Saturday.

The Spiders last traveled to New Hampshire during the 2006 season which resulted in a 27-17 loss. Redshirt senior cornerback Justin Rogers is the only player left from that team who traveled to Cowell Stadium. Rogers said that he has had a couple of players come to him and ask about the experience.

"I try give them my best description, tell them the fans are going to be extremely excited and [the Wildcats] really fuel off of their fans in the game," Rogers said.

Traveling to New Hampshire has never been easy for Richmond. The Spiders have lost their last two games in Cowell Stadium, with a capacity of 8,000, and the Wildcats have not lost there since Oct. 11, 2008.

It's not just at home that New Hampshire is a tough team. It has made the playoffs the past six season and despite losing three games this year, its still ranked No. 22 in the nation.

The first loss was at the University of Pittsburgh and the other two against the University of Rhode Island and the University of Maine have been by a field goal both times.

Although it will not be easy for the Spiders to leave New Hampshire with the win, Spider coach Latrell Scott said he thinks his team is prepared to play in a tough environment.

"Once you step on the field, it's just a football game," Scott said. "It's no different than practice because obviously no one cheers for you in practice and you don't expect anyone to cheer for you on the road."

Game notes:

• Richmond has not lost on the road to a FCS opponent since Sept. 27, 2008, at Villanova University. That was the first week that Richmond was ranked No. 1 for the first time since 1985.

• Scott said that this will be the first-ever flight for some of his players.

• The home team has won the last four meetings between these two teams.

• Senior tailback Tyler Kirchoff has scored a touchdown in three-straight games, including four in last week's win against Coastal Carolina.

• New Hampshire quarterback R.J. Tomas has thrown for more than 300 yards the past two games, but has also thrown five interceptions during that time.

• The last time Richmond played at New Hampshire, Wildcat wide receiver David Ball set the NCAA record with his 51st touchdown catch in his career.