Thursday, May 02, 2024

Media Timeout: 11/11/2010

• Kyle Busch was fined $25,000 by NASCAR on Tuesday for an obscene gesture he made during Sunday's race at Texas Motor Speedway. During the race, Busch was penalized for speeding and was called into the pits to serve a one-lap penalty. While sitting in his car, he held up his middle finger toward the NASCAR official, who was standing in front of his Toyota. The in-car camera caught the gesture, and it was broadcast live before ESPN realized what Busch was doing. NASCAR immediately penalized Busch an additional two laps and ordered crew chief Dave Rogers to get the driver under control. It led to a testy exchange between driver and crew chief, with Busch arguing that NASCAR was denying his right to free speech. Those are two things we've never seen in the same sentence: right to free speech and NASCAR.

• A Connecticut high school football coach, D.J. Hernandez of Southington High School, was suspended Tuesday for one game after acknowledging he used an opponent's play list that his team found during its game last month. Hernandez, 24, was suspended after he admitted to using the list of coded plays from an armband lost by a Manchester High School player. Hernandez, who played quarterback and wide receiver at the University of Connecticut, claimed that he only used the list on four plays during a Manchester scoring drive in the third quarter. The moral of the story: wear tighter wrist bands. Southington beat Manchester 28-14.