Andrew F. Newcomb, dean of arts and sciences, to resign

Arts and Sciences Dean Andrew F. Newcomb will step down and return to the department of psychology on July 10 after serving 10 years.

When Newcomb officially turns over his position, he said he planned to take a one-year sabbatical and return to the classroom in August 2012 as a professor of psychology.

"Hopefully, during my sabbatical, I will be able to develop my courses so that students will have a good learning experience," Newcomb said.

When Newcomb returns to the department of psychology, it will have been 13 years since he last taught, he said.

Newcomb has served the University of Richmond in many different ways since he was hired in 1984. Starting as an assistant professor in the department of psychology, he worked in the counseling center, and in 1987, he became associate professor of psychology. From 1991 to 2000, Newcomb served as chairman of the department. In 2001, after Richmond conducted a national search, Newcomb became dean.

Newcomb said he had felt absolutely great about his decision last May to serve out his current term and return to teaching.

"Ten years seemed like a nice, round number, and I wanted to do something different," Newcomb said.

Newcomb said that when he started his position as dean, his two biggest goals had been to implement the science initiative and to reduce faculty course load. As his role as dean comes to an end, he said he felt that he and his office had made wonderful enhancements across the liberal arts programs.

For example, as a result of the science initiative, which had goals to make Richmond a first-choice college for the best science students in America, the science programs are flourishing. The office has also added enough new faculty to be able to reduce faculty course loads and offer the same number of courses Richmond offered in 2001, he said.

Although Newcomb said he had met most of his goals, he wished he had made more progress in raising faculty and staff salaries and finding more ways to promote the value and centrality of a liberal arts education.

Psychology professor Scott Allison, who joined the faculty in 1987, said he had watched Newcomb grow as a professional, become a great dean and serve the school in many ways.

"He always had a great vision," Allison said. "I would call him a visionary with an extraordinary gift of seeing possibilities and making them happen."

Although Newcomb had been faced with tough decisions, such as hiring new staff, funding issues and programming decisions, one of the things Allison admired most about him was his ability to take risks and do the right thing, even if it was the unpopular thing to do, Allison said.

Universities do not usually hire deans from within its own faculty, but he was so gifted as an administrator that the university hired him internally, Allison said.

Psychology professor Catherine Bagwell, said that in Newcomb's role as dean, he had been a real advocate of hiring strong faculty and a strong proponent of undergraduate research and student engagement.

Having known Newcomb since he served as her research mentor when he was an undergrad at Richmond, she said she had been excited to have Newcomb back in the department.

Newcomb said that his first priority after July 1 would be to get his courses ready for 2012 through 2013. In addition, he said he had been toying with several research ideas, each of which would be tied to the work he had planned to do in his teaching.

"Finally, sabbatical is also a time for some rest and relaxation," Newcomb said. "Over the next two summers, my wife and I will travel to Africa and also either return to South America or go to New Zealand."

Although Newcomb said he had enjoyed his experience as dean, he said he had been ready to step down from his position.

"I have an application on my iPhone counting down the days to July 1, 2011," Newcomb said. "In all seriousness, I feel satisfied with the work I've done over the past decade and am eager to see what new challenges and opportunities are ahead."

Steve Allred, provost and vice president for academic affairs, said he felt that in his two-and-a half-years at Richmond Newcomb had done a remarkable job as dean.

If you look at accomplishments in the sciences, Gottwald Science Center facilities, increased emphasis on student research, efforts he has made in diversifying the faculty and his ability to understand the whole budget process, he has done a great job, Allred said.

As for the future dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, Allred said he had worked with a search consultant, Jean Dowdall of Witt/Kieffer, an executive search firm, to conduct an extensive national search. The national search committee is composed of about 16 members: faculty, two students, the head of Richmond College and Westhampton College student government, two trustees and Allred.

Allred has met regularly to review nominations and applications, and is moving forward with interviews soon. In addition, once the committee has selected finalists, the committee will bring them to campus, Allred said.

"I make the recommendation to President Edward Ayers, and he takes the recommendation to the board of trustees to make the final decision," Allred said. "The faculty has a large say in selecting the dean, both by their participation as majority members on the search committee and through the interview and presentation process on campus."

The faculty is excited about what a new dean will bring to the university in terms of new visions and style of leadership, psychology professor Jane Berry said.

"Newcomb was the best person at the time for the job, and now we're ready for someone new," Berry said.

Newcomb said he would help the new dean make the transition to Richmond in any way that he could.

"The best thing a departing dean can do for a new dean is to have everything as organized as possible, to leave a great office team behind and to disappear," Newcomb said.

It was the same courtesy given to Newcomb by former Dean David Leary, he said.

Contact reporter Rachael Specter at rachael.specter@richmond.edu