In-Game Blog: Richmond at Duke

The kick falls short and that gives the Spiders the victory, 23-21, their first over an FBS opponent since 2009, also Duke.

With 5 seconds left, Duke looks to line up for a 60-yard field goal attempt.

The punt rolls out of bounds at Duke's 37. 34 seconds remain for Duke's offense to drive into field goal range.

The Spiders get stopped on 3rd and 9, and run the clock down to 43 seconds before calling a timeout. Richmond will now punt from their own 17 following a penalty.

Richmond now looks to run out the clock as Duke has used its final timeout with 1:30 left in regulation.

Evan Kelly sacks Renfree for a 5 yard loss on 3rd and goal from the 5 yard line. Duke's ensuing field goal attempt from the 10 yard line is missed wide right. Richmond takes over, still leading 23-21, with 1:40 remaining.

The Blue Devil's defense holds strong, forcing a 3 and out. A nice punt return by Duke has them at Richmond's 24 to start their drive. Just under 4 minutes remains in regulation.

After a Duke penalty, Richmond defensive end Brandon Scott makes a big tackle on a 3rd and 7 screen pass and Richmond takes over at their own 4 following the punt.

Duke takes a timeout with 6:48 left. They have the ball on Richmond's 33 with a crucial 3rd and 2 facing them. The way both offenses are playing, one stop by either defense could decide the game.

Gaskins gets stuffed at the line on 3rd and goal from 1 yard out. The coaches decide to go for it on 4th down and Garrett Turner is able to get into the endzone. The extra point is no good and the Spiders now lead 23-21 with 10:12 remaining in regulation.

Spiders threatening at the Duke 7 yard line after another long pass completion from Corp to Gray.

The third quarter comes to a close with the Spiders on their own 18 yard line, facing a 2nd and 13. Duke leads 21-17.

The Blue Devils regain the lead on a 3-yard touchdown run by Boone. The back-and-forth affair now stands at 21-17 Duke, with under a minute to go in the 3rd quarter.

Facemask penalty negates another Richmond fumble recovery. Duke is putting together another good drive, with the ball on the Richmond 3.

Richmond fullback Kendall Gaskins finishes off the drive with an 8-yard touchdown run. With the run, the Spiders reclaim the lead, 17-14, and the momentum. 5:13 left in the quarter.

Big play for the Spiders as Corp hooks up for Gray on a 48-yard reception on a 3rd and 10 play. Gray weaved in and out of Blue Devil defenders for much of the yardage.

Blue Devils march down the field with relative ease on their opening drive of the second half, capping it off with a short quarterback draw into the endzone for Brandon Connette's first touchdown. Duke now leads 14-10 with 8:23 left in the 3rd quarter.

Action is back under way, and Richmond will start the half with the ball on their own 32.

A few first half observations on Richmond's first game of the season: Richmond's best offense appears to be its good defense, as both scores have been a result of fumble recoveries deep in Duke territory; Aaron Corp is going to need more help from his receivers, as numerous drops have resulted in low completion percentage; the Spiders look they may have a dominant starting safety combination in Cooper Taylor and Colin Pehanick, as the two combined for 9.5 tackles, one for loss, and two forced fumbles.

Duke badly mismanages the clock, throwing a pass in bounds with just 10 seconds remaining and deep in Spider territory. Richmond goes into halftime leading 10-7.

Richmond trying to run out the clock deep in their own territory, but Duke isn't letting them, calling timeouts in hopes of getting one more good scoring opportunity before the end of the first half.

Spiders go up 10-7, with kicker Remington Hinshaw putting the ball through the uprights on a 29-yard field goal. 4:18 left in the first half.

The Richmond defense again gives the ball back to its offense, forcing and recovering a fumble off a short pass. Richmond's Colin Pehanick forces the fumble and Darius McMillan recovered on the Duke 26.

Spiders turn the ball over on Corp's interception. The pass, intended for Gray, was batted around by a few Blue Devils before being caught by Duke safety Walt Canty at the 14.

Corp picks up 18 on his first run of the season. The ball is up to the 20 with 8:34 left in the half.

The defensive struggle in the first quarter is fast becoming an offensive shootout in the second, as the Spiders are again on the move after a couple quick first downs. Ball on the opponent's 47.

Blue Devils don't waste time, tying the game on a quick 4-play drive, finishing it off with a long touchdown run by Desmond Scott. The score is now 7-7 with 12:57 left in the first half.

Touchdown Spiders on a 6-yard completion from Corp to redshirt freshman Stephen Barnette. It was Barnette's first career catch and touchdown. The extra point is good and the Spiders are up 7-0.

That's the end of the first quarter. Both teams are still scoreless, though the Spiders are threatening with a 3rd and goal coming from the 6-yard line when play resumes.

Duke starting quarterback Sean Renfree is down on the field after appearing to get hit in the head on a run. He also fumbled on the play, forced by Richmond safety Cooper Taylor and the Spiders recover. First and goal from the 7 for Richmond.

Duke gives the ball right back to the Richmond offense, turning the ball over on downs after failing to pick up a first down on 4th and 1. Ball is on Duke's 35.

Richmond goes for it on 4th and 8 from opponent's 26 and turns it over on downs, as Corp's pass drops to the turf after nearly being intercepted.

After forcing another Blue Devil punt, the Spiders will start their second drive from the opponent's 41 thanks to a 15 yard return by senior Tre Gray.

Spiders forced to punt and backup punter Casey Dobyns pins Blue Devils on their own 4-yard line with a booming kick that forced the Duke returner to back up several yards.

On the second play of the drive, Spider fullback Kendall Gaskins bursts through a hole in the middle of the line for a first down.

Spider defense forces a 3 and out and the offense will take the field for the first time from their own 17.

Richmond will begin the game on defense as the Blue Devils will begin from their own 47 after a squib kick on opening kickoff.

Too many storylines to count for the Spiders heading into this one. Some of the biggest ones: How will interim head coach Wayne Lineberg handle the pressure in his first game at the position? How will Aaron Corp fare coming off his major injury from last season? Will the defense minus several key departures be able slow down the high-scoring Blue Devil offense?

Welcome to the first game of the football season for the Richmond Spiders. The team is in Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, N.C., and kickoff is set to happen in about 20 minutes from now. Follow along all game for live updates.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu