Response to A Letter to Women from WCGA

Dear fellow students,

In regards to recent campus dialogue about how we view one another and sexual violence, we would like to address the importance of respect, responsibility and acceptance of one another.

It is important to keep in mind that there is not a typical Richmond student; our campus has become exceedingly more diverse.

We all come from different backgrounds and hold different beliefs. We all respect ourselves and would like that same respect from others. We are not all skin deep -- every individual carries more than we perceive.

We must foster a community in which we are all responsible for our actions and our words. It is important to be mindful of how our behaviors affect other individuals.

We must hold each other accountable to be our best selves regardless of who we surround ourselves with, how we present ourselves, and how we act. As a University community, we deserve the right to express ourselves and to grow and learn in a safe and accepting environment.

We must accept one another's differences as we all struggle to find ourselves and develop our own individual moral code. College is a time for learning and personal development, and the University of Richmond is a place where this growth is valued and encouraged.

Therefore, as a community that values respect, responsibility and acceptance, we must be there for one another in times of need, women and men.

Within this period of growth and learning, we must step in when someone is at risk. Sexual violence is prevalent on all college campuses, and it is imperative that everyone feels secure at the University of Richmond.

We challenge the student community to be accountable. Speak up if you are uncomfortable in any situation. The Dean's Offices, CAPS, the Student Health Center, the Chaplaincy and the URPD are incredible resources for anyone who may have been a victim of sexual assault or who has a friend who has been a victim.

We hope that you will reflect on recent events and consider how you can support one another in making the University of Richmond a truly inclusive community.

Yours sincerely,

The Westhampton College Government Association