Sunday, May 12, 2024

Strike a balance

The infamous "work hard, play harder" lifestyle here at Richmond is not an easy one to keep up with. It's easy to get sucked into going out during the week because all of your friends are, but where does that leave your workload? While it is important to let yourself have fun, too much of it can throw you off balance; and the same goes for working too much.

If you find yourself wishing there were more hours in a day or constantly coming up short on homework, it might be time to fine-tune your time management skills. This week, the CAPS interns are going to help you do just that.

As far as time management goes, your weekly planner is your best friend. Writing everything down in your planner is the first step toward organization. If you are constantly flipping through your various syllabi to see when things are due, chances are you're going to miss something.

Keeping an up-to-date planner will help you get the full picture of what your day or week is going to look like. Next, and most importantly, make a schedule for each day and stick to it! Never underestimate the power of a consistent and rigid study routine.

This week's challenge: make a numbered list of your priorities for each day. During your designated study time, simply work your way down the list until you've accomplished everything! Do not, we repeat, do not, let yourself go out or give up until you've crossed all the items off your list for that day. Pushing things off until tomorrow will only complicate your life and increase your stress level.