Are Cain's 15 minutes of fame up?

Herman Cain is in a tough spot. Carried this far largely on rhetoric and a touted background in the private sector, the Cain campaign machine seems to be running low on fuel.

Hampered by a campaign team that is poorly organized at best, a hastily crafted tax plan now under heavy criticism and allegations of misconduct with women in past positions, presidential hopeful Herman Cain seems to be nearing the end of his 15 minutes of fame.

Despite all of these kinks in the armor of Cain's campaign, I think his biggest flaw is one that not a lot of people seem to be talking about. Cain is a one-trick pony. His only grounds for presidential candidacy are his experiences in the private sector, and while I'm sure being the CEO of a pizza chain is no small task, it is questionable to me whether this qualifies one for the office of commander in chief.

The office of the presidency is one that extends to all aspects of a country; economic policy is only one area of his responsibility. The president handles the execution and enforcement of laws created by Congress. Additionally, he negotiates and signs treaties, yet none of these tasks are as important as the management of matters of war and diplomacy, an area in which Cain has no experience.

What happens if America enters another war under Cain's administration? Should we expect more pizza deal policies like his proposed 9-9-9 tax plan? Perhaps a 5-5-5 counter-terrorism initiative or a buy-one-get-one free anti-insurgency operation. Don't get me wrong here; I'm not trying to diminish the importance of the country's economic problems.

I understand that the economy is by far the biggest issue on the table in the coming election, so much so that there are candidates whose sole merit seems to lie in their ability to address it, but the role of the president is one that requires more than someone with such a narrow area of expertise. It just seems unlikely to me that the skills gained as the CEO of a pizza chain will be transferrable to the office of commander in chief.

But maybe it's just me.