In-Game Blog: Richmond at Delaware

4th Quarter, 0:00- The clock hits double zero with the final score: UR 10, UDel 24.

4th Quarter, 1:29- Delaware starting to run out the clock on its inevitable victory.

4th Quarter, 3:03- The Blue Hens defense ends any hope of a Richmond comeback, hitting Corp from behind and forcing a fumble, which a Delaware defender picks up at its own 30.

4th Quarter, 3:33- Gray makes a tiptoe catch along the sideline to pick up 17 yards to the UDel 31. He now has 126 yards receiving on nine catches.

4th Quarter, 4:34- On 4th down and 5, Corp again goes to Edwards on a short slant to pick up the first down.

4th Quarter, 5:58- Spiders gaining momentum, forcing a 3 and out on defense. Delaware punts and downs the ball at the UR 27.

4th Quarter, 7:20- Pierce fumbles on a run that goes nowhere, but a Blue Hens' lineman falls on the loose ball to keep the possession.

4th Quarter, 7:35- Touchdown Spiders as Corp finds Gray open down the sideline for 38 yards. Backup kicker Remington Hinshaw comes into the game to take the extra point and puts it through. Richmond cuts UDel's lead to 24-10.

4th Quarter, 7:59- Rare first down run by tailback Garrett Turner for 11 yards.

4th Quarter, 8:50- Negative play turns positive for the Spiders, as Pehanick knocks the ball loose after a long Delaware catch. Pettus picks up the fumble and returns it to the UR 43.

4th Quarter, 10:03- Pierce eclipses the 200-yard mark rushing for the game on a four-yard gain.

4th Quarter, 10:20- Richmond punts and, following an illegal block-in-the-back penalty called on the Blue Hens, UDel takes over at its own 43.

4th Quarter, 11:10- Corp gets sacked for a five-yard loss on 2nd down, bringing up a 3rd and 15, which also turns into a sack, this time for three yards.

4th Quarter, 11:54- Spider defense benefits from a holding penalty and forces a UDel punt that goes into the end zone for a touchback. Holmes continues to lead the defense with his energy.

4th Quarter, 13:19- Richmond elects to go for it on 4th and 10, and Corp's pass is tipped and intercepted by UDel safety Ricky Tunstall, who returns it 49 yards to the UR 36.

3rd Quarter, 0:00- Third quarter comes to a close with the Spiders trailing, 24-3. They have a 2nd and 13 at the UDel 35.

3rd Quarter, 1:28- Spiders convert on 4th and 3, as Corp, who came back on the field, completes a slant to Edwards for nine yards.

3rd Quarter, 2:21- Corp gets hit hard as he releases the ball, and he's staying down on the field as the trainers come out to take a look at him.

3rd Quarter, 2:56- On 3rd and 5, Barnette makes a leaping catch for a 27-yard gain, the longest play of the game for Richmond. The ball is at the UDel 48.

3rd Quarter, 4:35- A silver lining for Richmond, as redshirt freshman linebacker DeShawn Holmes is playing well in his first extensive action of the season. He makes a big hit on 3rd down to force a punt, which goes through the end zone for a touchback.

3rd Quarter, 5:54- The rich get richer, as UDel intercepts Corp after the ball tips off Gray's fingertips on the Richmond 43, sending its offense back onto the field.

3rd Quarter, 6:36- Richmond offense comes back out on the field on its own 25.

3rd Quarter, 6:42- UDel increases its lead to 24-3 after the 30-yard field goal is good.

3rd Quarter, 7:27- Richmond defensive end Brandon Scott gets the first sack for the Spiders for an eight yard loss, forcing a 3rd and goal from the 13. On 3rd down, Pehanick nearly intercepts the ball, but the pass falls incomplete.

3rd Quarter, 8:43- Pierce rushes for 16 more yards for a 1st and goal to the 3-yard line. He's now at 192 yards rushing for the game.

3rd Quarter, 9:57- Blue Hens are wearing down the defense of Richmond, picking up yards all the way down to the UR 20, with a first down.

3rd Quarter, 12:11- Pierce picks up where he left off, gaining 14 yards on a first down run.

3rd Quarter, 12:30- Richmond wants to go for it on 4th and 7, but decide to punt after drawing a delay of game penalty. The punt goes into the end zone for a touchback, giving the Blue Hens their first possession of the half from their own 20.

3rd Quarter, 13:43- Gray catches a 17-yard pass from Corp, bringing the ball across midfield to the 46.

3rd Quarter, 14:54- Second half is underway, and Richmond will start will the ball on its own 26 after the kickoff.

Halftime- Richmond has got to be glad that half of football is over. Delaware dominated most of the first 30 minutes, and Richmond's defense has been unable to stop running back Pierce, who rushed for 133 yards and two touchdowns on 21 carries. In total, Richmond's was outpaced on offense, 244-125, in net yards. For the Spiders to have any shot at coming back in the second half, they need to find a way to slow down Pierce and get a few big plays from Corp and Gray.

2nd Quarter, 0:00- Delaware elects to sit on its lead, taking a knee to go into the locker room ahead, 21-3.

2nd Quarter, 0:28- Corp's pass is nearly intercepted, but falls incomplete, bringing up a long 4th down. Richmond elects to punt and the ball is downed on the UDel 24.

2nd Quarter, 1:08- A bad snap puts Corp in a tough spot, and he is sacked for a big loss, bringing up a 3rd and 19.

2nd Quarter, 1:26- Spiders receiver Stephen Barnette, who made two circus catches last weekend, almost pulls in another amazing catch, but the ball falls to the turf.

2nd Quarter, 2:10- Gray makes up for the drop, making a difficult catch across the middle to pick up the first down at the UR 28.

2nd Quarter, 2:18- Gray drops an easy first down catch, bringing up a 3rd and 2.

2nd Quarter, 3:07- Pettus is unable to get much on the return, getting taken down on the Richmond 16.

2nd Quarter, 3:12- That for drive was 12 plays, 97 yards in over seven minutes for Delaware. Richmond's coaching staff can't be happy with the way its defense is playing today.

2nd Quarter, 3:12- Pierce bounces off a few Richmond defenders and dives into the end zone to pick up his second touchdowns of the game, this one from four yards out. The score brings Delaware's lead to 21-3.

2nd Quarter, 4:34- Blue Hen offense continues to pick up yards chunks at a time. They have a first down and goal now at the UR 7.

2nd Quarter, 9:06- Despite starting deep in its own territory, Delaware is quickly moving down the field, already out to its own 36.

2nd Quarter, 11:09- Richmond can only manage two yards on the next three plays, bringing up a 4th and 8. Kamin is brought out to attempt a 28-yard field goal. His kick is blocked, and Delaware draws a personal foul penalty after it fell on the loose ball. The Blue Hens take over at their own 3-yard line.

2nd Quarter, 13:12- Corp runs on consecutive plays, the first one planned, for a first down, giving the offense the ball at the 13.

2nd Quarter, 14:25- Gaskins has the first big run for the Spiders in the game, finding a hole to go 11 yards for a first down at the UDel 24.

1st Quarter, 0:00: Richmond lets the clock run out on the first quarter; they trail the Blue Hens, 14-3, after the first 15 minutes.

1st Quarter, 0:15- Corp starting to heat up. He finds Edwards on consecutive plays to get the ball out to the UDel 37.

1st Quarter, 2:00- Gray catches an 11-yard pass on first down, putting him over 1,000 yards receiving on the season, only the third Richmond receiver to ever reach that mark.

1st Quarter, 2:09- Pettus returns the kickoff to the UR 33, where the Richmond offense will take over for its next possession.

1st Quarter, 2:17- After the Blue Hens get down to the 1-yard line, Donnelly runs the ball into the end zone on a quarterback keeper. Delaware increases its lead, 14-3.

1st Quarter, 3:40- Pierce finds a hole for a 39-yard run all the way down to Richmond's 13-yard line.

1st Quarter, 3:53- Kamin kicks the ball out of bounds on the kickoff, giving the Delaware offense the ball on its own 48-yard line.

1st Quarter, 3:53- Corp struggling a little bit through the first two drives. He is tied with Edwards as Richmond's leading passer in the game with just 24 yards on 2-6 passing.

1st Quarter, 3:53- Blue Hens defense holds the Spiders, as Corp throws incomplete on third down to Edwards in the end zone. Kicker Wil Kamin comes onto the field to attempt a 22-yard field goal, and it is good. Delaware's lead is cut to 7-3.

1st Quarter, 4:51- Spiders have a 1st and goal from two yards out after Corp finds tight end Kevin Finney for nine yards.

1st Quarter, 6:20- On 4th and 4, Richmond fakes a punt, and the ball is pitched to Edwards on an end around, and just when he seemed like he was going to be stopped, he held up and threw the ball to an open Colin Pehanick, usually a safety, for a 24-yard gain.

1st Quarter, 6:31- After two short runs, Richmond faces a 3rd and 4, and Corp goes to Gray, but the ball is tipped away and nearly intercepted.

1st Quarter, 8:12- Spider offense gets its first first down on the game on a 15-yard pass from Corp to receiver Tre Gray, out across midfield.

1st Quarter, 8:51- Richmond return man Wayne Pettus makes a few guys miss on the return, and gets the ball out to the UR 39.

1st Quarter, 8:59- Pierce already has 40 yards rushing; the defense is going to need to slow him down if Richmond wants a shot at ending its losing streak today.

1st Quarter, 8:59- After holding Pierce to minimal gain on the first two downs, Richmond's defense is unable to contain him as he walks into the end zone for a 1-yard touchdown run. The Blue Hens go ahead, 7-0, following the extra point.

1st Quarter, 10:30- Delaware decides to go to the air, and complete a 37-yard pass from quarterback Tim Donnelly to receiver Nihja White down to the UR 6-yard line.

1st Quarter, 10:58- Blue Hens continuing to rely on Pierce. He has a first down out across midfield.

1st Quarter, 12:17- On the first play of the drive, fullback Kendall Gaskins flips the ball back to quarterback Aaron Corp for a flea flicker, and he throws deep for wide receiver Ben Edwards, but Delaware cornerback Travis Hawkins makes a tremendous play on the ball, intercepting it with one hand. Delaware takes the ball back on its own 43.

1st Quarter, 12:25- On 3rd and 10, Delaware completes a pass that goes for nine yards. Blue Hens elect to go for it on 4th and 1, and the Spider defense stands strong, stopping Pierce for no gain. Richmond's offense comes onto the field now, taking over on its own 26.

1st Quarter, 13:46- Delaware's Pierce, running back Andrew, already having success on the ground versus the depleted Spider defense. He has the Blue Hens out to the UR 35.

1st Quarter, 14:51- Spiders win the coin toss and defer to the second half. Kickoff gets returned by Delaware to its own 40. Richmond defensive end Jacob Pierce is back today after missing last week with an injury.

Pregame- The Spiders are trying to end a six-game losing streak today, but it comes against one of the top teams in the conference. The defense is still suffering from numerous losses, mostly in the defensive backfield and line. This will be Richmond's final road game of the season, as it will finish the year at home next Saturday against William & Mary. It's Delaware's Homecoming game today.

Pregame- Welcome to another live Richmond football blog. A little later getting here than usual because we came straight here from College Park, Md., where the Spiders' field hockey team lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament, 2-0. Now, we're in Newark, Del., as the football team gets set to face off against conference-foe Delaware Blue Hens. Kickoff is just five minutes away.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu