Monday, May 13, 2024

Response to Kuta's comments on Shariah Law

This is indeed a disappointing piece of journalism in which Ms. Kuta (Response to: Five Shariah insights for students at UR-Nov. 5) is spreading hate and misinformation about Islam because of her apparent bias toward this religion.

Being a Muslim woman, I am outraged that she has portrayed the teachings of Islam as being offensive to women's rights. The references she has made are either not accurate or are judged in a literal sense, and readers are likely prone to get an incorrect impression of the essence of the teachings. Islam respects a woman in all roles of life. A woman has the right to inherit and to divorce -- something unheard of 1400 years ago. Islam teaches modesty so that every woman is chaste, unlike something just prescribed for nuns in Christianity. If Muslim women are taught to be modest, so are Muslim men.

Islam exhorts Muslims to be loyal to their country of residence and to follow the rule of the land, and makes no distinction as to whether the ruler is Muslim or not (Quran 4:60). As members of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, we believe that the state and religion should remain independent of each other and that Shariah does not apply to non-Muslims.

Ms. Kuta should put her bias aside and report objectively to do any good for society.