Dining hall chef Betzhold earns accreditation

Tyler Betzhold, senior catering chef for the University of Richmond, has completed the requirements for the certified Executive Chef accreditation from the American Culinary Federation.

Betzhold prepares food for on-campus events including banquets, conferences and award ceremonies. Before coming to Richmond, Betzhold worked in a high-volume strip mall, he said.

The Executive Chef certification is "designed to identify those chefs who have demonstrated a level of culinary competence and expertise through their education, work experience, culinary knowledge and skills that is consistent with the executive chef level," according to the American Culinary Federation website.

The requirements for the certification include at least three years of work experience in an executive chef role and several hours of continuing education credit in subjects including food management, sanitation and service, Betzhold said.

"The accreditation is not just about cooking, but also things such as finance and management," Betzhold said.

Megan Zazakos, Betzhold's sous chef, said Betzhold had brought more teamwork and unity to the catering kitchen than any other catering chef she had worked for.

"As tough as he might be as a boss, he is always fair," Zazakos said.

Betzhold said the certification was similar to getting a Master's degree and that it mostly benefited chefs in institutions such as universities or country clubs, rather than restaurants.

Betzhold said his goal was to keep learning and become an executive chef, working within all of the food units on campus.

"Richmond is a fantastic place to work," Betzhold said. "It excites me that we have so many different food outlets here on campus. I have nearly 100 percent creative freedom, the scenery is beautiful and the facilities are amazing."

Contact reporter Molly Gentzel at molly.gentzel@richmond.edu