Not all bad in Spiders' 43-19 loss to UVA

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.-- The 2012 season opener wasn't the start Richmond's new head football coach Danny Rocco wanted, not by a long shot, but it wasn't his worst nightmare either.

"I told the guys after the game that there's nothing to feel good about," Rocco said. "Nothing to like about getting our butts kicked, but I'm really excited about being the head football coach at University of Richmond."

Richmond's opponent, University of Virginia, was predicted to win big, and it did, 43-19. Virginia starting quarterback Michael Rocco, nephew of Richmond's new coach, was a big part of that, completing 25 of his 37 passes for 311 yards and a touchdown. Danny Rocco was proud of his nephew, he said.

The negatives of this game for the Spiders are numerous, but for a team that just lost its ninth straight game dating back to last season, there were some bright spots too.

Fifth-year senior John Laub began the season as Richmond's starting quarterback for the first time in his career and, after a shaky start, he started to make plays towards the end of the first half.

The offense advanced past midfield for the first time all game with about three minutes remaining in the half thanks to a pair of long completions from Laub to receivers Stephen Barnette and Ben Edwards. Edwards was Laub's most targeted wideout all game, finishing with six catches for 59 yards.

"He's a great route runner and receiver," Laub said of Edwards. "Some of the stuff where he was in the middle were designed to get him the ball quick and let him make plays."

After fullback Kendall Gaskins carried the Spiders into the red zone, Laub had his helmet knocked off on a one-yard run, forcing him to leave the game for a play, per NCAA rules.

Backup Michael Strauss, who transferred from Virginia last spring, came into the game and, under pressure, threw a pass that was nearly intercepted before being tipped into the hands of Gaskins for a three-yard touchdown. Rocco called Strauss's first touchdown pass in Scott Stadium "ironic." That cut the Cavaliers' lead to 22-6 heading into halftime.

"It was very important as far as morale," Laub said of the team's first score of 2012.

The Spiders wouldn't get any closer than that, despite scoring two more touchdowns in the second half, one coming at the end of the game with each team resting numerous starters.

"The energy and fight was definitely there," Laub said. "We didn't stop playing the entire game."

Rocco, who had said before the game that he was looking to see how his team responded to the spotlight of playing an Atlantic Coastal Conference opponent, agreed with his quarterback.

"We showed some real glimpses or being able to physically withstand and athletically compete," he said.

Next up for the Spiders is the home opener, where the team will kickoff at 6 p.m. against Gardner-Webb University next Saturday.

Game Notes: Richmond had two botched snaps in the first quarter, one coming on a punt attempt which resulted in a safety... UVA out-gained Richmond, 184-28, on the ground... Richmond's Aaron Roane and Reggie Barnette tied for the game high with 12 tackles each.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu