Live Blog: Richmond vs. Delaware

4th Quarter, 0:00- Game over as Taylor finally takes advantage of getting his hands on the ball with an interception in the end zone. Richmond escapes with the victory, 23-17, over Delaware.

4th Quarter, 0:02- Last play coming from 27 yards out.

4th Quarter, 0:06- Nice play by Hurley finding an open receiver at the sideline at the UR 27.

4th Quarter, 0:22- First down to Johnson at the UR 38.

4th Quarter, 0:30- Poor punt coverage by the Spiders gives UD a chance as Tunstill returns it to midfield.

4th Quarter, 1:20- Gaskins is tackled in the backfield, and Richmond will wind the clock down to about 40 seconds before calling a timeout and punting.

4th Quarter, 2:10- Gaskins picks up a few more yards, as the clock continues to run, with a 3rd and 5 coming.

4th Quarter, 2:17- Spiders just burning clock with Gaskins now, as Delaware tries to strip the ball. Refs grant UD a timeout despite the scoreboard not showing that they had any.

4th Quarter, 2:47- Gaskins with a big run for a first down to the UR 30. Clock is in the Spiders favor now.

4th Quarter, 3:10- On 3rd and 6, Hurley's throw is broken up by Reggie Barnette. Baner is brought on for a 42-yard field goal attempt, and the kick is perfectly through the uprights, keeping UD in the game. The UR lead is back to six, 23-17.

4th Quarter, 3:58- Big sack by Richmond's Evan Kelly stops Blue Hens momentum for now. That sack was for 8 yds.

4th Quarter, 4:25- A great, leaping catch by Johnson keeps Blue Hens hope alive, picking up a first down to the UR 29.

4th Quarter, 4:32- On 3rd and 7, pressure forces a poor throw that just goes straight into the dirt. UD will go for it on 4th down, and this could decide the game.

4th Quarter, 4:36- Taylor almost comes up with an interception, his third almost pick of the game. That one just bounced off Milburn's hands. Delaware faces a 3rd and 7.

4th Quarter, 5:13- On 3rd and 7 Hurley again gets great protection, not feeling any pressure, and he finds White all the way down to the UD 47.

4th Quarter, 6:02- Good coverage by the Spiders and Hurley and the rest of the UD offense will come back out, starting on their own 22.

4th Quarter, 6:09- Richmond's struggles in goal-to-go situations continues, as the offense picks up just 2 yards on three plays. Hinshaw is brought on to try to make it a two possession game, and it's good. Very important kick by Hinshaw there makes pushes the lead to nine, 23-14. No matter the result of this game, Rocco's going to have to field questions about missed red-zone opportunities.

4th Quarter, 7:06- Possibly a game-saving play by Strauss there, as he escapes what looked like a sure sack, and finds an open Roller for 25 yards to the 7 for a first and goal.

4th Quarter, 7:15- On 3rd and 9, a pass to Edwards picks up 8, bringing up a huge 4th and 1. Rocco calls for a UR timeout.

4th Quarter, 7:42- Hold-your-breath moment for Richmond, as a pass to Barnette gets tipped in the air near UD defenders, but it falls to the ground, bringing up a 3rd and 9.

4th Quarter, 8:47- Sophomore Ponder is having his biggest game as a Spider, as he makes another first down catch across the middle to the UD 40.

4th Quarter, 10:00- On 3rd and 7, Edwards makes a play for his quarterback, as Strauss just threw it up for grabs under pressure, but Edwards comes back to the ball and makes the grab at the UR 49 for a first down.

4th Quarter, 10:26- A 3rd and 2 becomes a 3rd and 7 on a false start by Richmond.

4th Quarter, 11:25- Grant's return goes to the UR 24, where Strauss and the offense will try to forget that last drive.

4th Quarter, 11:30- First career interception by Strauss comes at the wrong time for Richmond, as Delaware's Ricky Tunstall picks off the pass that is thrown right to him, and he returns it 77 yards for a Blue Hens touchdown. All of a sudden, this game is looking more in doubt, as UD cuts the Richmond lead to 20-14. Delaware has all the momentum right now. Not looking good if you're a Spider fan.

4th Quarter, 12:45- First big offensive play of the half by Strauss as he finds Ponder deep down the opposing sideline for a first down all the way to the UD 31.

4th Quarter, 13:26- On 3rd and 4, a deep throw by Hurley to Clark falls through the receiver's fingertips, bringing on the punting unit. Edwards calls for the fair catch at the UR 38.

4th Quarter, 14:47- Strauss rolls to his left and is sacked from behind to start the quarter. He fumbles it, but a UR lineman picks it up. Hinshaw is brought on for his third field goal attempt, and he hits it well, but it goes wide right. Rocco can't be happy with the offense's effort in this second half. UD takes over at its own 20.

3rd Quarter, 0:00- The clock winds down on the third quarter after a direct snap play to Gaskins brings up a 3rd and 5 from the UD 14. Big play coming up to start the fourth quarter, as the Spiders lead, 20-7, heading into the game's final 15 minutes.

3rd Quarter, 0:47- A Delaware defender is down with an apparent injury, and an officials' timeout is called.

3rd Quarter, 0:58- On 3rd and 10, Taylor almost gets the interception, as it bounces off his chest. On the punt, Rodney Barnes breaks through the line and blocks the punt. The ball bounces out of bounds at the UD 19, and Strauss comes out to try to put this game away.

3rd Quarter, 1:51- Delaware calls a timeout. This Blue Hens team has shown flashes today of why it was ranked so high in the preseason, but it's also clear why they've had a disappointing season, making too many mistakes.

3rd Quarter, 2:13- Hurley to Milburn for a first down is negated by a holding penalty, bringing up a 2nd and 20 from the 15.

3rd Quarter, 2:28- Delaware offense will begin its next drive at its 25 again, as it takes the touchback off the UR kickoff.

3rd Quarter, 2:28- Great defensive play by the Delaware cornerback, knocking away Strauss's throw in the end zone for Edwards. Hinshaw comes on to attempt the 37-yard field goal, and it's good. That's a huge special teams lift right there; Rocco's going to be happy to talk about the kicking game post game today. Spiders lead grows, 20-7.

3rd Quarter, 3:14- Gaskins goes no where on two plays from there, bringing up a 3rd and 11. Richmond needs to score on this possession.

3rd Quarter, 3:49- Gaskins picks up two straight first downs for the Spiders, the second one thanks to a big stiff arm near the sideline. Ball is at the UD 29.

3rd Quarter, 5:34- Quick first down from Strauss to Barnette to the UD 41.

3rd Quarter, 5:41- I spoke too soon, as pressure from Aaron Roane forces a poor throw by Hurley that's intercepted by Hamilton, his second pick of the day. UR offense takes over at the UR 45.

3rd Quarter, 6:12- Delaware looking like the team with the better halftime pep talk right now. Hurley has all the time in the world back there.

3rd Quarter, 6:37- And again Hurley to White for the first down, this one gets them past midfield to the 49.

3rd Quarter, 7:22- Hurley not finding the same trouble, as he finds White for another quick first down to the UD 38.

3rd Quarter, 7:29- Strauss and the offense don't do anything, failing to pick up a first down, and Hicks with a booming punt that bounces over the Delaware returner's head. The returner goes back and picks it up, returning it for a few yards to the UD 25.

3rd Quarter, 9:37- On 3rd and 2, Laing makes a nice move to pick up the first down, but the ball is stripped from Laing's hands by Taylor, and Richmond comes up with the big fumble recovery. Another huge turnover by Richmond defense, and UR takes over at the UR 18.

3rd Quarter, 10:44- Laing starting to pick up steam, picking up 6 yards on first down.

3rd Quarter, 11:04- Soft coverage by Richmond hurts the defense, as a short pass is converted into a first down on the run after, all the way to the UR 33.

3rd Quarter, 11:36- On 3rd and 6, Hurley throws for a first down to White, but it's brought back because of a holding penalty, bringing up a 3rd and 16.

3rd Quarter, 13:20- Best rush of the day by Laing, as he goes for 5 yards past midfield for a first down at the UR 45.

3rd Quarter, 14:18- Quick first down from Hurley to Stephen Clark out at the UD 42.

3rd Quarter, 14:56- Delaware will begin with the ball as the second half gets underway. BLue Hens offense will star at their own 27.

Halftime- Here's my analysis: That first half was a positive and negative for Richmond. For one, I think that half is as good of proof as any that Richmond's football team is for real, that it was able to struggle to finish drives as much as it did and still be up by 10 against a pretty good team is a testament to the team's new-found finding ways to win mentality. However, Richmond needs to pick it up in the second half. It's keeping the Blue Hens in this game with way too many bad penalties and missed opportunities. The Spiders had to settle for that field goal with the short field in the first quarter and then just kept backing up and not scoring at all after getting a first and goal in the second quarter. The big positive for Richmond in that half may be Hinshaw, who made all three of his kicks, two extra points and a short field goal. Hinshaw remaining consistent could be big for Richmond down the stretch, and possibly in the playoffs if the Spiders get there. On defense, they need to get more pressure on Hurley, who's making plays when given time. The defensive backs have kept this game in Richmond's control thanks to those two big momentum-shifting interceptions; they've been opportunistic all season, and it's continued today. One last note is a surprise, as Delaware's defensive line is overpowering Richmond's offensive line, the same line that had only given up one sack to opposing defenses all season. Second half action coming your way next.

Halftime- Here's some important stats for you all: Strauss (16-27 for 151 yds, 2 sacks), Gaskins (10 carries for 46 yards, 2 TD's), Hurley (10-20 for 112 yds, 2 INT's), Delaware has just 28 yds rushing, Richmond has 9 penalties for 89 yds.

2nd Quarter, 0:00- The Blue Hens are content letting the clock run out, bringing this game to halftime. Richmond goes into the locker room ahead, 17-7, but it could be more. I'll be back with important half time stats and analysis soon.

2nd Quarter, 0:34- Note: That sack by Callaway was only the second sack allowed by Richmond this season.

2nd Quarter, 0:52- Strauss comes back into the game on 3rd and 16 and is nearly intercepted. Hicks's punt ensues, and it goes into the end zone for another touchback. UD will start at its 20.

2nd Quarter, 2:03- Strauss gets nailed this time, sacked by UD's Patrick Calloway. Strauss's helmet it knocked off, forcing backup Montel White into the game.

2nd Quarter, 2:28- End around run by Edwards goes no where, but a facemask penalty is called on Delaware, giving UR a first down at the UD 34.

2nd Quarter, 2:35- Didn't take long for the second sack, as Taylor comes untouched through the middle of the line to nail Hurley at the 7-yard line. Punt from the end zone is nearly blocked, but UD's Rauley Zaragoza gets it off, and Edwards calls for the fair catch at midfield. Plenty of time to extend the lead for UR.

2nd Quarter, 3:45- Kerry Wynn picks up the first sack of the day for Richmond on second down, bringing up a 3rd and 13.

2nd Quarter, 3:59- Pass to Ponder on 3rd and 4 falls incomplete. Hicks's punt bounces out of bounds at the UD 19, where Hurley and the Blue Hens offense will take over.

2nd Quarter, 4:44- Strauss is dealing with more pressure than he's used to today; the Delaware defensive line looks quicker and stronger than Richmond's offensive line.

2nd Quarter, 4:57- Nifty bit of running by Strauss on a broken play, picking up a first down at the UR 41.

2nd Quarter, 6:02- First down throw to Kevin Finney down to the UR 29.

2nd Quarter, 6:42- Huge play by Richmond's Wayne Pettus, coming up with an interception. A personal foul penalty on Richmond after the play backs the Spiders up to their own 9, but the play is important nonetheless.

2nd Quarter, 7:03- On first down, Hurley finds Mike Milburn deep to the UD 45 for a first down; that's followed by another pass interference call on UR, this one on Taylor. UD first down at the UR 46.

2nd Quarter, 7:10- On 3rd down, Delaware brings the blitz and gets to Strauss, who just throws the ball into the ground. Intentional grounding is called, bringing up a 4th and goal from the 38-yard line. Penalties are keeping Delaware in this football game. Not the best punt by Hicks, as it just goes into the end zone for a touchback. Very disappointing series of plays there for the Spiders.

2nd Quarter, 7:28- On first down, Strauss throws the ball away under duress, and a personal foul penalty is called on Richmond, backing the Spiders up to the 22.

2nd Quarter, 7:52- Great pass and even better catch by Ponder on a deep throw toward the Delaware sideline. First and goal for UR at the 7.

2nd Quarter, 8:40- Big return by Justin Grant for the Spiders, all the way out across midfield to the UD 35-yard line for 62 yards. That'll stop any momentum the Blue Hens may have built on the previous drive.

2nd Quarter, 8:52- Touchdown for Delaware as Laing leaps over the UR defensive line, barely crossing the goal line. Extra point is good, and that's the first points allowed by Richmond since the fourth quarter of the JMU game. UD cuts the lead to 17-7, Spiders.

2nd Quarter, 8:58- On second down, a pass into the end zone draws another pass interference penalty. The crowd disagrees, but it's a 1st and goal for the Blue Hens at the 2.

2nd Quarter, 9:07- Roughing the passer penalty gives Delaware a 1st and 10 from the 11.

2nd Quarter, 10:11- On 3rd and 12, Hurley finds Justin Burns open deep over the middle for a first down at the UR 27.

2nd Quarter, 11:14- Hurley with a little misdirection, picks up a first down with his feet out near midfield.

2nd Quarter, 12:01- On first down, Richmond's Cooper Taylor nearly comes up the interception, stepping in front on Hurley's pass.

2nd Quarter, 12:06- Blue Hens will begin their next drive at their own 25 following another touchback.

2nd Quarter, 12:06- Another touchdown for Gaskins, as he rushes it in from 6 yards out, virtually untouched to the left side of the line. Hinshaw makes his third kick of the game on the extra point and Richmond pushes its lead further, 17-0.

2nd Quarter, 12:40- Great catch by Rashad Ponder near the sideline to pick up the first down at the 6-yard line.

2nd Quarter, 12:46- Edwards gets hit hard, with his helmet coming off, and he drops the ball. 3rd and 5 coming up.

2nd Quarter, 13:53- Strauss to Barnette for a first down on 2nd down for 15 yards. Ball is at the UD 25 now.

2nd Quarter, 14:02- Richmond does get a stop, kind of. Hurley finds Johnson open for a first down, but Johnson drops the ball. Edwards fields the punt and gets a short return to the UD 39.

2nd Quarter, 14:47- 3rd and 9 coming up after just a short gain by Laing. Good field position if Richmond gets a stop.

1st Quarter, 0:00- First quarter comes to a close after a gain of nothing on a rush by Laing. Richmond hasn't given up points in 5 straight quarters now, as the Spiders lead, 10-0.

1st Quarter, 0:15- On 3rd and 2, Strauss moves away from center, and the direct snap goes to Gaskins, who is unable to gain anything. Illegal formation is called on UR, but it's declined, bringing up 4th and 2. Punter Nick Hicks comes on for the first time, and it's perfect, bouncing all the way down to the UD 2-yard line, a 55-yard punt.

1st Quarter, 1:45- On 3rd and 6, a miscommunication between Hurley and his receiver, and the no one is in the area where the pass is thrown. UD brings on its kicker Sean Baner for a 51-yard field goal attempt. The kick has enough distance, but its wide right. Richmond offense takes over at its own 34.

1st Quarter, 2:54- Another throw for a first down to tight end Nick Boyle at the UR 38. UD is not having trouble moving the ball through the air.

1st Quarter, 3:59- Until that throw, a bullet to Johnson. Johnson fumbled at the end of the play, but he was ruled down. Replay confirms this is a questionable call. Ball is at midfield.

1st Quarter, 4:10- The scouting report on Hurley was a big, strong arm. I haven't seen it yet.

1st Quarter, 4:15- Kamin's kickoff goes into the end zone for the touchback. Delaware will take over at its own 25.

1st Quarter, 4:15- On 3rd and goal from 8 yards out, a fade route to Edwards falls incomplete. Hinshaw comes out to attempt the 25-yard field goal, and it's good. Not what Richmond wanted off of the short field, but encouraging to see Hinshaw make his first two kicks. Spiders extend their lead, 10-0.

1st Quarter, 5:19- Two quick completions by Strauss, one to Sam Roller and the other to Edwards, gives UR a 1st and goal at the 10.

1st Quarter, 6:07- On 3rd and 7, Hamilton steps in front of Hurley's pass and intercepts it. He goes all the way to the Delaware 23-yard line before he's caught from behind. Penalty called is illegal formation against UD, and UR declines. Richmond offense comes back onto field.

1st Quarter, 7:19- On 3rd and 2, Hurley finds Johnson just past the marker. Ball is at the 24.

1st Quarter, 8:36- Delaware running back Julian Laing, starting for the injured Andrew Pierce, goes no where on his two carries so far.

1st Quarter, 9:05- UD picks up another first down to the UR 36 on a pass from Hurley to Nihja White.

1st Quarter, 9:47- On the first play, UD quarterback Trent Hurley looks deep, and pass interference is called on UR's Darryl Hamilton. The ball goes to the UR 48.

1st Quarter, 9:54- Pretty good return by Delaware's Michael Johnson out to the UD 37, where the Blue Hens offense will begin its first drive.

1st Quarter, 10:02- Gaskins just ran over the entire Blue Hens defense for the 8-yard touchdown. He was still standing standing in the end zone despite having UD defenders draped all over him. Hinshaw comes in for the extra point, and he knocks it through. Perfect start for Richmond; something it's struggled with this season. 7-0, Spiders.

1st Quarter, 11:12- Best opening drive I've seen from Richmond all season. The Spiders have a 1st and goal from the 8 after another completion to Barnette.

1st Quarter, 11:21- Gaskins consistently picking up 6 or more yards every carry. Delaware's defense looks soft. Ball is at the 16.

1st Quarter, 12:10- Strauss runs for a first down this time, sliding to avoid contact at the 22.

1st Quarter, 12:53- Yet another first down, as Strauss finds his favorite target Stephen Barnette for a decent gain. Ball is at the UD 28.

1st Quarter, 13:29- Gaskins gets his first carry of the day and goes 7 yards for another Richmond first down. Ball is already past midfield.

1st Quarter, 14:15- On 3rd and 3, Strauss finds Ben Edwards on short crossing pattern for the first down.

1st Quarter, 15:00- Spiders elect to receive the ball first, and they take a touchback. Richmond offense will begin the game at its own 25.

Pregame- One last pregame thought real quick. The Spiders don't just need to win this game if they want to increase their playoff chances; they need to win convincingly. I predicted a 10-point UR victory. I don't think 10 points would be enough to help Richmond's playoff cause.

Pregame- Three men just completed skydives onto the Robins Stadium field. Pretty cool. Just under eight minutes until kickoff now.

Pregame- Kendall Gaskins and Darius McMillan -- it's hard to think about Richmond football without these guys, seems like they've been around forever.

Pregame- Seniors being honored now for Senior Day, walking out onto field with family members. Lots of important players in this group. This class has been through a lot, including a couple disappointing seasons. This is the first class to come up following Richmond's 2008 National Championship.

Final home press box meal of the season. Let the tradition live on.

Pregame- Richmond football trying to finish off a perfect Spider sports weekend after season-opening wins for the men's and women's basketball teams yesterday. Looks like UR fan base may be a little worn down from those games, as the stadium looks a bit empty at this point.

Pregame- Welcome back to our live blog for the final home game of the season. The Spiders are in Robins Stadium for Senior Day, and are set to take on CAA-foe Delaware. This was a game Richmond fans probably circled on the calendar a few weeks ago as a game where UR would have to pull off an upset. Well, that's not the case anymore, as the Blue Hens have lost four of five games and dropped out of the rankings, while Richmond has climbed to No. 20. Read what you should expect for today in my full GAME PREVIEW.