Rapid Recap: Richmond 23, Delaware 17

Final Score: University of Richmond- 23, University of Delaware- 17

What Happened: Richmond truly escaped with a victory today despite a sloppy second-half effort by the offense, which had trouble all game turning 1st and goal situations into touchdowns, even failing to get any points on two occasions. The Spiders were in control of the game still, up 13 in the fourth quarter, before UR quarterback Michael Strauss's first collegiate interception was returned 77 yards for a touchdown by Delaware safety Ricky Tunstall. The Richmond defense made the most of its opportunities, forcing five turnovers with four interceptions, including senior Cooper Taylor's to end the game, as UD quarterback Trent Hurley made one final throw into the end zone from 27 yards away. Richmond's 14 seniors leave their final game in Robins Stadium with a win, but Spiders coach Danny Rocco is going to have to address several issues from this game, and this close game likely won't help Richmond's playoff chances much.

Spider Positives: Not too many positives for Richmond other than the actual win actually, but the Spiders did have a quick start, which they've hadn't done in other games this season. The defense remained opportunistic with its five forced turnovers, and it took away Delaware's running game, holding the Blue Hens to just 70 net yards on the ground. The kicking game today was improved with Remington Hinshaw making 3/4 field goals and both his extra point attempts. Also, sophomore receiver Rashad Ponder had his best game as a Spider, making five receptions for a career--high 84 yards.

Spider Negatives: Strauss showed he's not invincible today, having his worst game as a starter. Much of that was due to a poor effort from the offensive line which gave up three sacks after only surrendering one all season coming into the game. The defense couldn't get consistent pressure on Hurley, and the Delaware passing game was able to move the ball fairly easily all game, with Richmond only stopping Hurley with turnovers. The biggest negative of this game, though comes from Richmond's red zone offense, which scored just two touchdowns in seven opportunities.

Up Next: The Spiders will try to finish their season strong, going on the road to Williamsburg, Va., to face rival William & Mary in a game that's set to kickoff at 1:30 p.m.

Contact staff writer David Weissman at david.weissman@richmond.edu