Richmond at Delaware Game Preview

Storylines:

1) Winning Streak - Two weeks ago, the Spiders (2-4, 4-6) were looking to break a four-game losing streak, but now, they are on a winning streak. After winning its last two games -- the first time the Spiders have won consecutive games this season -- quarterback Michael Strauss said the Spiders had momentum heading into this week's game. While it's great Richmond developed this momentum, Stony Brook and Albany - who are a combined 4-15 and 1-11 in the CAA - are new to the conference this year and are two of the worst teams the Spiders have played. Delaware is a different story.

2) Trap Game for Delaware? - The Blue Hens (7-3, 4-2) come into this game tied for second place in the CAA and ranked No. 21 nationally. After losing to William and Mary last week, Delaware desperately needs to win its final two games (it plays Villanova in the Battle of the Blue in its final game) to hope to making the playoffs. Richmond is one of the last teams a fringe-playoff team like Delaware would want to play this late in the season. Richmond's 4-6 record makes it look like a weak team from afar, but the Spiders have outscored their opponents, 255-223, this season. Danny Rocco has a 19-4 record in November as a head coach, including a 5-0 record in November as Richmond's head coach.

3) Jacobi Green's Injury - Richmond's running game has struggled all season and the season-ending foot and thumb injuries to feature-back Jacobi Green is the last thing the Spiders' running game needed. Despite scoring a season-high 39 points in last week's win over Stony Brook, Richmond totaled 68 rushing yards without Green. The Spiders will need some sort of running game -- just enough so Delaware doesn't know the Spiders will throw every play -- to win. Rocco said several running backs would need to contribute this week, but a bulk of the burden would be given to:

Keys to a Richmond victory:

1) Seth Fisher - Fisher struggled as the feature back against Stony Brook, rushing for 36 yards on 13 carries. In the previous game, however, Fisher showed he can be a strong lead back, running for a career-high 89 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries in a 27-10 win against Albany. Fisher's play will be crucial this week because, after him, the Spiders do not have many options. T.J. Moon will play, but he is not 100 percent after missing some time due to injury. Rocco has used quarterback David Broadus and wide receiver Ben Edwards out of the wildcat, but Richmond can't count on getting enough production from the that alone. Fisher will need to give the Spiders some threat, even if it's minimal, running the ball so that Strauss won't have to carry the offense.

2) Special Teams - Rocco said Delaware's special teams play, in particular its kick returns, have been one of their strongest areas this year and have been a reason why the Blue Hens have won certain games. Delaware ranks first and third in the CAA in punt-return average and kickoff-return average, respectively. Richmond's kick returning has been fair this season, but Justin Grant, who was an all-CAA preseason selection for his kick returning, has not lived up to expectations. Also, Richmond's punting looked suspect against Stony Brook. On one attempt, Joe Gulli was not even able to get a punt off before being tackled. The Spiders don't need to outplay Delaware on special teams, but it cannot allow Delaware to win the game because of special teams.

Prediction - 28-27 Delaware - Richmond will give Delaware all it can handle, but the Blue Hens will hold on to this must-win game.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson