Men's basketball beats Saint Joseph's 77-62

University of Richmond shot 10-22 from three-point range and five Spiders scored in double figures, as Richmond comfortably beat Saint Joseph's University, 77-62, in front of a sold-out crowd at the Robins Center on Saturday evening.

Richmond head coach Chris Mooney said this had been Richmond's best offensive game of the season.

Richmond has won four straight games, including a win over No. 12 University of Massachusetts, after dropping its first conference game, and is tied for second in the Atlantic 10.

"They've had a hell of a week," St. Joseph's head coach Phil Martelli said.

Kendall Anthony led the Spiders with 19 points, and Trey Davis added 14 points and 12 rebounds.

Davis said this had been one of the Spiders' most complete games of the season.

"I think early on in the season we relied heavily on [Cedrick Lindsay] and [Anthony], and I think everybody else was... trying to figure out their roles," Davis said. "I think now... everybody feels confident in their game, and we all feel like we can contribute."

St. Joseph's dominated the paint, outscoring the Spiders 38-22 and out-rebounding them 44-35.

Halil Kanacevic, who averages 11 points and nine rebounds, led the Hawks with 21 points and 19 rebounds.

Kanacevic, however, was the only Hawk to shoot more than 50 percent from the field. Langston Galloway, who averages 18 points per game, scored 13 points but shot 5-17. As a team, St. Joseph's shot 37 percent.

"Everybody is always about 'play hard, play hard,'" Martelli said. "No, you got to play smart. I don't think we played smart."

Richmond led 35-28 at the half thanks to six different Spiders making at least one 3-pointer. Richmond shot 7-14 from three in the first half, while St. Joseph's struggled, shooting 1-7 long-range.

Kanacevic scored 12 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in the first half. Richmond missed Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, who played only 12 minutes in the game because of foul trouble.

"That hurt us," Mooney said, "because [Nelson-Ododa] is such a great defender and can be such a presence and bother big guys who are versatile, like Kanacevic is."

Richmond took control of the game by opening the second half with an 11-2 run. The Spiders rarely let the Hawks come within 10 points, and whenever St. Joe's gained momentum, Richmond had an answer.

Richmond's schedule does not lighten up, as the Spiders will travel to St. Louis to take on the No. 19 Billikens on Wednesday. Richmond will then play cross-city rival VCU on Saturday at the Siegel Center.

"As great as this win was, we got to look forward to the next one," Davis said.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu