Richmond soccer sisters cherish season together

<p>Richmond soccer players and sisters Lindsey and Ashley Williams. Photo courtesy of Lindsey Williams.</p>

Richmond soccer players and sisters Lindsey and Ashley Williams. Photo courtesy of Lindsey Williams.

Intense. Competitive. Talented. Complementary.

These are the characteristics of the Williams sisters, as described by head coach Peter Albright.

Ashley and Lindsey Williams were both members of the 2014 soccer team at the University of Richmond. Ashley, a senior, joined the team in 2011 and found immediate success, earning 15 starts and appearing in all 21 games her freshman year. Her success inclined the coaches to take a look at Lindsey, who was consequently offered a scholarship to Richmond in 2012 as a sophomore in high school.

Lindsey had to give Richmond a second thought before committing, though. “At first, when people would ask me if I wanted to go where [Ashley] went, I didn’t want to because we’ve always done the same things in life,” she said. “So I actually didn’t want to go here at first. [Ashley] didn’t pressure me to go here.”

During the one year that the sisters played together at Warhill High School in 2011, their team won district and regional championships and played in the state quarterfinals. The team’s success with both sisters was unprecedented in the school’s history, and has not been repeated since. Lindsey said playing with her sister at Warhill “was a lot of fun” and she “thought that it would be fun to play with her again.”

Lindsey committed to Richmond the same year she was offered a spot on the team, but her college career did not begin until three years later.

Ashley was expecting for her senior season to be the best yet, with her mindset focused on enjoying her final year and building team camaraderie. Her leadership guided the players to become closer with one another, and the result was a unified group.

“With our team cohesiveness came an overall sense of competitiveness,” she said.“We were a relentless team that beat with one heart."

“This is the closest team I've been on since my freshman year, and I believe all the seniors can attest to that,” she said. “As a collective group, we did everything we could to make this season the very best and never took anything for granted.”

Ashley prepared her sister to be able to contribute to the success of this year’s team. Before Lindsey was at Richmond, she said Ashley put her through the fitness tests and training that were to come as a Spider soccer player. The work that Lindsey’s sister put her through paid off, as she started in 14 of 19 games and played in all but one.

Ashley’s guidance is just one example of the strength of the sisters’ relationship. “Lindsey and I have a relationship that no one else has,” Ashley said. “We make each other laugh constantly and thoroughly enjoy each other's company. I go to her when I've had a bad day, and she always seems to make me smile.”

The two sisters act as twins when they’re together, but have contrasting personalities. Ashley exudes confidence and is outgoing, while Lindsey exhibits modesty and is reserved.

Their coach has found that they are different as players as well. “Ashley, a senior captain, is fiery, bombastic, relentless and emotional,” Albright said. “Lindsey is cerebral, technical, poised and efficient.”

As midfielders, the sisters played next to one another. Albright said their styles were complementary. “They both grew into symbiotic roles,” he said. “They never favored one another, but they did have an unspoken connection.”

This season was one to remember for Ashley because she played beside her sister. “My fondest memory playing with [Lindsey] this season was in the quarterfinals of the A-10 tournament against VCU, when I scored my first goal of the season and she was the first one to come and celebrate,” Ashley said. “I jumped into her arms. It's those little memories that we will remember 50 years from now and that means the most.”

Although the Spiders were eliminated early in the Atlantic 10 tournament against rival VCU, this season meant more to Ashley than any other. “I'm going to miss the long bus rides we took on away trips and how much fun we all could have with one another,” she said.

Three more years of Spider soccer lie ahead for Lindsey. She is afraid of what life will be like at Richmond without her sister by her side, but knows that she is bound to build stronger relationships with other teammates, Lindsey said.

Lindsey was emotional when discussing the inevitable separation of her and her sister. “I’m so proud of her,” Lindsey said. “She made it up to the position of being a captain on the team her senior year and leader on the field.”

Ashley’s passion for soccer is what Albright said he loved the most about her. “Ashley is one of my favorite Richmond soccer players of all time,” he said. “I just love the way she cares so much, and how she plays with a reckless intensity.”

The coach said he was grateful for the opportunity to coach at least one member of the Williams family for seven straight years.

The 2014 season provided unforgettable memories for the sisters. “I enjoyed every second of it and wish it had lasted longer,” Ashley said. “What got to me the most was during home games when the starters would be introduced at midfield and the two of us would be side by side, number 19 and number 20, looking up into the stands. That's one of the biggest things I won't ever forget.”

Contact reporter Olivia Healy at olivia.healy@richmond.edu