Rapid recap: Richmond women's basketball vs. Hampton

Richmond women’s basketball lost to Hampton, watching a one-point halftime lead evaporate as the Spiders couldn’t keep up with the Pirates in the second half.

The Pirates had four scorers in double figures, led by Malia Tate-Defreitas who scored 16 points and had four assists. Kenia Cole and Ryan Jordan each had 14 points and Kyani White added 12 in the Pirates’ 64-53 win.

For the Spiders, Lauren Tolson led the way in scoring with 20 points, four 3-pointers and seven rebounds. Janelle Hubbard chipped in 13 points and Liz Brown added 11 points and eight rebounds as well.

Turnovers were the Achilles’ heel for the Spiders, who committed 19 of them compared with only nine by the Pirates. These turnovers translated to 24 points for Hampton, significantly more than Richmond’s nine.

Another issue for Richmond was its inability to score and prevent points in the paint throughout the game. This was largely because Richmond starter Genevieve Okoro spent large chunks of the game on the bench because of foul trouble. Even when she was on the court, she had to play somewhat cautiously to avoid picking up more fouls.

Before the game, Okoro was honored for being the 21st player in Richmond history to score 1000 points in her career. Okoro only had three points tonight, but has been a key contributor all season.

The Spiders (3-4) look ahead to their next game against Wake Forest next Sunday at the Robins Center.