Weekly Recap: Week of Feb. 15

<p>The Robin’s Stadium.</p>

The Robin’s Stadium.

Women’s Golf

February 21, AWAY vs. W&M: After 11 months of not competing, the women’s golf team defeated the College of William & Mary on the River Course at Kingsmill Resort. Juniors Naomi Mitchell and Emily Ward led the team with scores of 77 and 78, respectively. In her college debut, first-year Rory Weinfurther shot +8 and sophomore Muskan Uppal placed fourth on the team shooting 83. Overall, the team shot 318 versus Tribe’s 322. 

Women's Lacrosse

February 19, HOME vs. UVA, LOSS 9-15: Women’s lacrosse fell to No. 16 University of Virginia 9-15 on Friday evening at home. After its first win against Radford on Feb. 14, the team was unable to secure a win against UVA. The Spiders beat UVA in their 2020 season with an overtime goal against the then-No.6 Cavaliers. Sophomore Lindsey Frank led the team with three goals, followed by graduate student midfielder Madison Ostrick, redshirt senior attack Sam Geiersbach and sophomore attack Arden Tierney with one each. 

Women’s Basketball

February 19, HOME vs. St. Joe’s, WIN 68-58: According to the game recap, junior guard Kate Klimkiewicz collected a double-double with 23 points and 13 rebounds, setting a new personal Atlantic 10 high in points. Juniors guard Claire Holt and forward Emma Squires and freshman forward Addie Budnik. The team went 25 for 32 (80.6%) from the free-throw lines. In the final three minutes of the game, Budnik scored three and the team earned their remaining five points in free throws. 

February 19, HOME vs. La Salle, WIN 67-61 : The women’s basketball team celebrated their seniors with a 67-61 win over La Salle in their final game in the Robins Center. Senior guards Kailyn Fee and Alex Parson were recognized during a pre-game ceremony featuring video recordings of their parents giving their best wishes and praises. In the final quarter of the game, the Spiders held the Cavalier’s unscored for almost five minutes. Kate Klimkiewicz led the team with 14 points followed by Addie Budnik with 12, and the team shot 75% from free throws. 

Women’s Swim and Dive

February 20, AWAY at George Mason: Juniors Jenna Carastro, Maggie Purcell, Grace Palfreyman, and freshman Petra Mijic traveled to George Mason for their season opener. Richmond had four first-place finishes including In the 200 IM Purcell placed first at 2:05.14, Mijic sixth at 2:10.92, and Carastro 12th in 2:16.25. Purcell also placed first in the 200 breaststroke in 2:18.26, and Carastro placed sixth in 2:31.09. In the 500 freestyle, Palfreyman finished first in 5:07.90 and Mijic took first in the 1650 freestyle in 17:19.74. Mijic’s win came in seven seconds faster than the runner-up. Finally, Palfreyman finished eighth in the 100 freestyle in 54.71.

Women’s Track and Field

February 20, AWAY at Camel City - Elite Indoor Track: Senior Brooke Fazio placed fifth overall in the 800m race with a time of 2:07.7. After coming in 2:06.50 last week at the Kenneth Giles Norfolk State Invitational, Fazio is ranked 18th in the nation. 

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country

February 20, AWAY vs. Spider/Patriot Cross Country Classic:

The women’s team places 7th overall with 165 points and nine competing members. Freshman Elizabeth Stockman places fifth overall with a time of 17:30.4, averaging 5:34.5 per mile. The men’s team placed 5th overall with 157 points and eight competing members in the five-mile race. Junior Peter Borger led the way finishing 10th overall and running a time of 24:46.9. Competitors included Georgetown, UCONN, Iona, GW, UMass Lowell, George Mason, W&M, Duquesne, and St. Joe’s.

Men’s Tennis

February 20, AWAY vs. Navy, LOSS 1-6: The men’s tennis team fell to Navy in their season opener. They lost the doubles point and also five of the six singles matches. Junior John Walsh secured a win at No. 6 singles going 6-2 in the first and 6-4 in the second. 

February 21, AWAY vs. ODU AWAY, Loss 0-7: The men's tennis team lost the doubles point and couldn't recover in singles. In the final match, freshman Daniel Kliebhan won the first set 6-3 against Podvinski but fell 6-4 in the second set causing a tiebreaker set, but the Monarchs took the tiebreaker to sweep against the Spiders.

Men’s Basketball

February 17, Men’s basketball AWAY vs VCU 56-68, LOSS: The Spider’s fell to cross-town rival VCU. In the first half, UR shot 32% from the field, went two for eight from the three-point line, and two for four on free throws. In the second half, the Spiders continued to struggle shooting, going 33% from the field, 9% from three. Senior forward Nathan Cayo led the Spiders with 18 points and seven rebounds, respectively. 

February 20, HOME vs Duquesne, WIN 79-72: The Spider’s took a win from Duquesne 79-72 at home after falling to VCU the day before. Senior guard Jacob Gilyard and graduate student Blake Francis tied for points scoring 17. Trailing closely behind was sophomore forward Tyler Burton adding 16. The Spiders took control of the game early on with a 12-5 lead and finished the game strong 5-3 over the Dukes. After the Spiders led 40-33 at the start of the second, they lost the lead trailing by one point, but a three-pointer by Gilyard put them back in the lead 72-70 with less than two minutes remaining. A pair of free throws for Francis and Gilyard and his three-pointer at the buzzer secured the Spider’s win.

February 21, Men’s Lacrosse HOME vs. UNC, LOSS 9-14: Men’s lacrosse lost to No. 2 UNC at a home game Sunday afternoon, making their record 0-2 to the season. The Spiders only won eight of the 26 faceoffs and had 36 shots in comparison to UNC’s 44. Top scorers included sophomore attacks Dalton Young and Richie Connell each with three. Graduate student goalie Jack Rusbuldt played the full 60 minutes and accrued 19 saves. The team’s next game is home against Towson on Feb. 27. 

Contact sports editors Grace Mittl at grace.mittl@richmond.edu.