UR Weekly Roundup | Week of Jan. 24

The Main mural painted on the wall within the Multicultural Student Space.

With week two completed and routines settling in, it's a great time to get out and about in the community. Here is what’s going on this week. 

What International Law Has to Say About Indigenous Peoples: Does It Matter? 

Thursday from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 

As a part of the “Moving People: Perils and Promise of Nationalism” lecture series, the Jepson Leadership Forum is hosting S. James Anaya, an international law professor at University of Colorado Boulder. The first webinar in the series will cover global migration and its legal, moral and ethical implications. To register for the event, click here

Something from Nothing: Creating Street Art for a Cause 

Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. 

The Bonner Center for Civic Engagement is hosting Hamilton Glass, a muralist based in Richmond, who will be leading a beginners mural and street art class. During the class, participants will spray paint large bins which will be used to collect goods and materials that will be donated to Richmond community organizations. Glass painted a mural in the Multicultural Space on campus. This event will kick off Black History Month. The event will be held on Millhiser Green and you may email jbrookin@richmond.edu for further details

Richmond Reframed - RVA Photographers Exhibition 

Friday at 6:00 p.m. 

Art Works Inc. Gallery’s new exhibit, Richmond Reframed, will highlight local photographers and their varying perspectives of the city. Over a dozen local photographers will be featured. This free exhibit will be held in the Centre Gallery and will run until Feb. 19th. 

UR vs. VCU Men’s Basketball Game

Saturday at 4:00 p.m.

The Richmond Area Honda Dealers Capital City Classic is coming up this weekend. The Spiders will face one of its strongest rivals, the VCU Rams. According to ESPN’s Basketball Power Index, UR is predicted to take the win, but be sure to check it out for yourself. The game will be held in the Robins Center. 

V72x2 Vegan Food Week 

Tuesday through Sunday 

Richmond Vegan Action is holding Vegan Food Week, a 144 hour plant-powered event. There are 36 restaurants, cafes and bakeries in the area participating in this year's event. Love Sugar & Twine? If you visit five or more locations participating in the event, you can earn a free treat from Sugar & Twine. For more information, visit the event posting

Contact lifestyle editor Corinne Flaherty at corinne.flaherty@richmond.edu.