Women's golf ready for spring season despite snow

The harsh cold and snow haven't stopped the women's golf team from preparing for its spring season.

Members of the team have been preparing by putting in their rooms, working out four times a week and practicing their swings in an indoor facility at the Robins Center, which coach Jill Briles-Hinton set up with cameras, said senior Annie Sprick and freshman Grace Kingdom.

"It's been hard with the snow," Sprick said, "but we've been doing what we can and we're all a lot stronger and physically ready to go."

The team started the 2009-2010 school year with its new coach, Briles-Hinton, who was formerly the head coach at the University of Florida for 11 years. Briles-Hinton led the Gators to six NCAA championship appearances and the 2008 NCAA East Regional title, according to richmondspiders.com.

During her first year as coach, Briles-Hinton has tried new techniques that will motivate the girls to play at their best level, Sprick said.

Briles-Hinton has had the players keep journals of what they want to accomplish this season, which helps keep each other accountable, she said.

"Our coach is really dedicated," Sprick said. "She's showing us a lot of new things. You can tell she has a lot of experience and she knows how to motivate each girl to success."

During the fall season, the four freshmen contributed to the team's success. Caroline Lovette and Tracy Martin both performed well during the fall tournaments, Sprick said. Lovette won the Spider Fall Invitational last October, becoming the first women's golf player to win an individual title during the program's nine-year history.

"As a senior, I feel that we're leaving the team in good hands," Sprick said.

Senior captain Lauren Folgosa and Sprick both said their biggest competitors during the team's five spring tournaments would be the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and Georgia State University. The team's challenge would be shooting low and showing the teams that they're capable of competing, Sprick said.

The team will play in its tournament, the Kiawah Island Classic, on Feb. 21. The team will only compete in three other tournaments during the spring season before the Colonial Athletic Association Championship in April.

Contact reporter Elise Reinemann at elise.reinemann@richmond.edu