Thursday, May 02, 2024

Media Timeout: 11/18/2010

• The University of Connecticut women's basketball team, quite arguably the most prolific college basketball team in the past five years (men's or women's), almost got dethroned by the Baylor University Bears on its homecourt. The No. 1 and No. 2 teams battled unusually early in the season, seemingly picking up from last year's NCAA Championship game, which UConn won 70-50, but this time, it was more of a game. UConn held on to win its 80th-straight game, 65-64. The Huskies need just eight more consecutive wins to match the 88-game streak the 1970s the UCLA's men's teams amassed. Our bet is they'll soon match and surpass that feat.

• Jeff Reed entered this season with the Pittsburgh Steelers as one of the top 10 most accurate kickers in NFL history. He was 8 for 8 during the 2005 and 2008 playoffs with the Steelers, helping the team capture two Super bowl victories. This year, Reed missed seven of his 22 attempts, which is why the Steelers promptly cut him after their home loss to the New England Patroits. For kickers, even those with Reed's track record, the question is, "What have you done for me lately?"

• Calgary Flames forward Brett Sutter has apologized to his family and fans for getting involved in a fight last week during the closing time of bar called "American Junkie" in Scottsdale, Ariz. Sutter is the son of the Flames' general manager Darryl Sutter, and nephew of Calgary coach Brent Sutter. Even with those contacts, Sutter was demoted to the Flames' minor league team in Abbotsford, British Columbia.