Golf teams are optimistic about their spring seasons

Pounds of Chocolate and other sweets await at For Love of Chocolate in Carytown. (Alexandra Varipapa/The Collegian)

The Richmond men's and women's golf teams worked hard on their short games to prepare for the 2011 season, which starts this Sunday.

Jill Hinton, women's head coach, said the team's ultimate goal was to win the conference championship. If everyone could improve by one or two strokes this semester, the team would be contending for it, she said.

"As the team gets better, we will have loftier goals," she said.

Adam Decker, men's head coach, said he had similar goals for his team. He said he was optimistic about the conference tournament in Orlando at the end of April.

"Given the way we played in the fall, I have no reason to expect going backward at all," Decker said. "Everyone played golf somewhere over winter break. It just shows me that even though I didn't ask or require it of them, they took it upon themselves to keep working on their games."

Sophomore Daniel Walker said said if the team wins the conference, they have an automatic bid in the NCAA Regional Championship.

"That's what we're all preparing for now," Walker said.

A strong recruiting class contributed to the success of the team last fall, Decker said. He said the sophomore class was the best recruiting class in the state.

"It's been a good mix of guys really pushing each other," Decker said. "The talent level I've been able to bring in recently has increased."

This year, the roster consists of seven players. Not only is the team a lot closer, but more attention can be given to each player, Decker said.

Even though all seven men practice every day, only five can travel to tournaments, Decker said.

"Golf is a different type of team sport," Decker said. "You're competing against your teammate to get a spot in the lineup to travel to a tournament. It's hard when you're just leaving two guys at home, but at the same time, you can get closer and give attention to a smaller squad."

Unfortunately, golf is the type of team sport in which players compete against one another, which inevitably builds animosity, Hinton said.

"If someone gets beat, it's just the way it is that time," Hinton said. "Everyone's had moments of greatness and it's those moments that keep us going."

This spring, the men's team will play in four tournaments and the conference at the end of the year, Decker said.

"We are going down to Hilton Head to play in a tournament this weekend," Decker said. "If we play well and finish high in the field, it will move us up in national rank."

Sophomore Tracy Martin said the weather had played a huge factor in the team's performance, but that the players tried not to let it affect the game.

"Surprisingly, it's been OK weather this year," Decker said. "That is, if you put it in context to last year when we didn't see grass until we went to the first golf tournament."

Decker said the team's practice facility, owned by Jefferson Lakeside Country Club, had been a good recruiting tool for the team. The facility served as the team's home base, Decker said.

Senior captain Sam Beach said the practice facility had been an advantage to the team.

"If we didn't have it, we would be stuck practicing at some other club and not having a place of our own," Beach said. "It's limitless on what you can do out there."

The team members are working on their swings not just outside, but also in the video room at the facility, sophomore Courtney Rousse said. One of the videos shows a swing technique to hit the ball more solidly, she said.

"It's important to get the swing where you want it to be," Martin said. "That's where we start seeing the results."

In terms of preparation, the players practice 20 hours a week and were working on their short game and wedges, Martin said. The team members are looking forward to playing again, seeing results and showing everyone what they have been working toward, she said.

Rousse said she thought the team would come out strong this semester and that all the players were holding each other accountable. In an effort to strengthen each player, the practices work differently than last season, she said.

"Last season the practices were very structured," Rousse said. "Now, each player practices on their own weaknesses. I think it's been a great success."

Hinton said she had encouraged everyone to work on weaknesses, to always be aware and evaluate and adjust practice plans according to their goals.

When preparing for a tournament, it is important to be mentally and physically prepared, senior co-captain Christina Gray said. Gray said she had planned to play professionally after college and had already qualified for the Duramed FUTURES Tour, an LPGA mini-tour.

"I clear my mind before I pull the trigger and hope for the best," Gray said. "So much is dependent on muscle memory.

Walker said the next step for a lot of the men's players would be focusing on putting from a mental and physical standpoint.

Sophomore Nick Austin said mentality was what separated the best from the average.

"When I'm playing, I never lose faith," Austin said. "When you start thinking about how you're going to shoot, that's when you mess up."

On a typical tournament day, the team wakes up at 6:30 a.m. to play 36 holes, and then plays another round of 18 holes the next day, sophomore Caroline Lovette said. A round can take from four to six hours, Gray said.

"We're getting better every year," she said. "Courses that were tough [in previous years] don't seem as tough anymore."

Hinton said her year and a half as head coach at Richmond had been great.

"What I like best about the school is that we want student-athletes to have a well-rounded college experience," Hinton said. "That it is not just all about winning in sports and getting great grades, it's about community involvement, sports, relationships, development, study abroad, athletics and academics.

"I like to win, I'm competitive, but it doesn't have to be at all costs."

Contact Rachael Specter at rachael.specter@richmond.edu