Richmond suspends recognition of Sigma Alpha Epsilon indefinitely

<p>Former SAE lodge that is being remodeled for student organizations to use after spring break.</p>

Former SAE lodge that is being remodeled for student organizations to use after spring break.

The University of Richmond has suspended recognition of its Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter indefinitely after a thorough review revealed repeated violations of the University's policies and risk management procedures, according to an email from a University spokesperson.

On April 7, The Collegian reported that Peter Donahue would replace Tucker White as chapter president after two women fell off a balcony at an SAE away weekend and were seriously injured.

The following day, an SAE spokesman wrote in an email that an SAE alumni commission placed the fraternity under a cease-and-desist order and proposed to remove the chapter president from office, suspend the members of the senior class until they graduate, expel six men from the fraternity and place the chapter under social probation.

The suspension comes four months after Oklahoma University's SAE chapter was disbanded for singing a racist chant. Oklahoma President David Boren said after an investigation that the chapter had learned the chant at a national convention, which Richmond's chapter did not attend.

Donahue and SAE's national headquarters both failed to return attempts for comment. Director of Greek life Meg Pevarski and Director of Student Activities Alison Keller were both unavailable for comment.

We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Contact Sports Editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu